Diagnosis
01/2009
Country
US
State
PA
City
Fort Washington
I think there is a very useful lesson here.

Anyone anticipating the need for eye gaze device begin your search early before it becomes a necessity.

Each major manufacturer offers a free 30 day in home trial. Don't be steered to one particular device by your speech therapist, they don't live with a device twenty-four hours a day. Finally, make sure the device best meets most of your needs, speed, ease of use, internet, email, windows access, environmental control, and of course, speech.

You only get one insurance reimbursement, specifically, one system every five years, so take advantage of the free thirty day trials on systems and make your decision once you've tried them all.

Anyone have recommendations for an eyegaze, what to look for, etc?

We are waiting for the Tobii system. I'll let you know what we think of it since my husband's voice quality is lost every day and I'm sure that we will be using it ALOT. His right side is gone and he can no longer pick up a full bottle of drinking water in his left.

The ALSA or MDA loan closet can also be a way to try early as well, but maybe not with the latest model unfortunately. But might still help if you can't get a trial. The Dynavox rep in my area wouldn't do a trial for me.

My husband has Tobii system. He uses it mainly at night because during the day he would rather look at peoples faces not a screen but at night he chats, texts, emails, operates the tv and of course can operate an alarm to wake me.

I have the Wivek system. it uses a webcam and a reflective dot on my glasses. I rent it through my Assistive devices clinic. Works pretty good.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back