Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
ca
City
portola valley
Does anyone with ALS find that cold or damp weather affects symptoms? Bev

Sure does. Chill a lot faster and stiffen up like crazy. Takes lot longer to warm up.

AL.

Hi Al,
Thanks for the reply. Since David is newly diagnosed this information is so helpful in planning the future. We are in the process of making the decision to sell the house or make renovations to stay here. Perhaps, if weather is a major concern is would be best to look at moving to a warmer location for the winter months.

Many on here from colder areas prefer Florida and Southern Ca, Arizona etc. I'd go if I could.

AL.

For Rick it is ditto what AL has said. Rick gets stiff legs and fingers and it takes longer to warm them up for movement. The cold air or windchill factor here in the northeast in winter effects his breathing too....... the lack of humidity inside does also, not just weather.

Marjorie

What do you do about the lack of humidity? We don't have the problem with the cold weather in Phoenix, but the air is very dry. I wonder if more humidity would help my breathing.

Beverly,

Although I have had Drs. with differing opinions about me having ALS,I can assure you that the weather affects me when it gets cold. When the weather warms up I seem to have a lot more strength compared to the cold weather that seems to stiffen my legs up. Jake

Beverly,

I am so glad that you asked that question. I have been wondering the same thing. Being on vacation where it was warm was lovely. Then as soon as we returned home at the same time as that arctic front swept through the country - I felt extremely worse than the before. I almost had my husband convinced that it was Ohio weather or my house that was making me sick and I needed to move to Hawaii. We just laughed and then thought that was a pretty good reason and we should ask this at out next appt. So I think that weather affects my symptoms as well. Teresa

Maybe we should sell our houses and all move to Hawaii. We could start an ALS group house with individual condo type living. That way we could share the responsibilities and have ongoing support. Bev

This is an interesting thread ... finally, there is a distinct difference between Myasthenia Gravis patients and PALS. MG patients suffer horribly in the heat ...

Maybe we could work out a house swap deal with our brother and sister neurological patients. I'd love to get out of L.A. in July. :-D

BethU - Anytime. You can visit in Ohio in July and I have no problem visiting in LA. My best friend lives in Santa Monica and I would love to spend time out there anytime of the year. As long as you don't live where all the fires are. Teresa

OK,
I can be packed and ready anytime ya'll say-Hawaii, Ohio, L.A., where should we all land?8)8)

Hawaii works for me too. love California but if I'm pulling up roots, I'm going for the islands! .. a commune could be just the answer 8) Its time for old man winter to go AWAY !

Go HEAT!

I sooo feel stronger in the heat. THe cold weather also stiffens me right up and it takes a long time to warm up. We have hot water bottles, heating pads, wool socks and boiled wool slippers and lavendar rice pillows heated up to stay warm. I even sleep with the electric banket on high. Sometimes I relaxes me too much but I'd rather have that than the severe spacticity. I have PLS not ALS and have tried to walk the tightrope of this disease for years!

Stay warm! Let me know when the commune gets started in the islands! 8)

Yes, winters are the worst, all symptoms flare up... It is quite amazing, for many years I just could not take Nothern California heat, June to September I could walk outside only long after the sunset, but things reversed completely since my, ehm, "undiagnosed condition" took off in earnest in 2006, 10 mins walk today at 3pm seemed like storming North Pole. Oh boy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back