11/2017
Country
US
State
MN
City
Detroit Lakes
The fumes and residue..

This would explain why our Military People have such a high incidence of ALS.

We had cap guns when I was a kid and firecrackers and shotguns and rifles and pistols.

Lots of gunpowder fumes being inhaled and going into the atmosphere for everybody to breathe in.

A lot of Ammo in Guam..

How is linked to being research news - may we have the link to the research please?

Anything is possible! I inhaled some “gunpowder” smoke when I worked in a mine in the Haida Guai. They are two islands off the northern coast of British Columbia. They used to be called the Queen Charlotte Islands. A few times a large boulder would get stuck in the primary crusher and it would need to be blasted. So a charge would be set and a timer fuse with a blasting cap would be cut in half and the end with the cap would be placed in the charge. Both ends would be lit and we would walk down the drift (tunnel) as the other half of the fuse was carried with us and burned and filled the drift with smoke. When it got near the end we would put our ear protection on and the charge would detonate. All the smoke in the drift would move a few feet towards the entrance, then move back in, and out with less and less distance as the air was pushed out, then flowed back in, then pushed out again etc. The strange thing was the smoke would hang in the air in the same pattern, just move back and forth.

When we were conceived, our DNA made some of us predisposed to get ALS, and some didn’t. So some soldiers, breathing gunpowder or whatever, got ALS and some carried on. I am sure some day they will figure it out, but it is a hard nut to crack. I know there was a Dutch study that showed a strong link to air pollution and ALS which could include all sorts of similar compounds.

If an accredited military link were ever to be established it would be of those who served in the artillery. I served on an 8" self propelled howitzer in Viet Nam. When we fired Zone 3 there was 99 pounds of gun powder behind the projo (shell). After 3 or 4 and more rounds fired... the air around the gun would have an orange tint. It would get in our hair and on our fatigues like soot.

This is fascinating stuff. Mines and howitzers. Please continue. Any and all stories.

The 1991 Persian Gulf War was what persuaded the VA to cover ALS as a presumptive. My unproven belief is that the government began to accept ALS from all wars and all over the world in order to distract us from the real location and time.

We expected a chemical war. We inoculated GIs against CW with untested anti-nerve agents that were known to be bad for you. Not many people know this, but we expected as many as 100,000 casualties!

So you know what? Expecting a chemical war, there was at least one army that secretly moved masses of neuro-toxins around the world to position them near Iraq: ours! I remember seeing whole trainloads of the stuff rolling through Germany, with German snipers at every bridge and overpass. It took at least a half-dozen trains to get that stuff moved.

I do not however believe this belongs in research news as this is speculation by members rather than discussing research isn't it?

Tillie, this does apply to research. My opinion. If you disagree... what sub-forum do you think it should be? Just asking. :) PS. Research begins with speculation.

Mike, did you get my PM?

Last edited:
Research does begin with speculation to form a hypothesis followed by organized testing of that hypothesis, hopefully leading to publication.
I agree with Tillie, though, that speculations shouldn’t be in the research section until they are studied and then published. The general forum might be more appropriate for speculation.

Edit: Moved from other sub-Forum.

(Well, have one of the Moderators move it... if that will make you all happy. Geeze. :)
As soon as a relatively quiet sub-forum gets active somebody will complain about the topic.
Ok, Moderators move it so the gurus of the Forum will be content.)

*******Ok, sorry. I do apologize when I've made a mistake. I see it's been moved.*******

Now everybody's happy. :)

PS. Karen, your reply above teeters on contradiction. My opinion... like yours. :)

("Chronic Wasting Disease and Mad Cow Disease.") In the Research Sub-Forum. ??

Last edited:
Once again, what about "Chronic Wasting Disease and Mad Cow Disease" in the Research sub-Forum?

Others made their suggestions so maybe it's my turn... I suggest that be moved up here too. :)

Or... is it that I posted on that sub-Forum. :)

Hmmm... I see ""Chronic Wasting Disease and Mad Cow Disease" disappeared. It was amazing (to me) how many and who replied to that nonsense. Whatever. :)

Last edited:
oh yes the other thread started by the same person :)

My husband was exposed to guns/ ammo all of his growing up years. Of course, he also had numerous head injuries AND the little known classic pre ALS profile of extremely good health (65 at Dx, no regular meds, no conditions in his life other than bad sinuses and a bit of arthritis) great diet, and very high fitness level. That’s not a popular topic in research either, and our own Dr has said it’s because it goes against everything medical science tells us is healthy.

i know this is the wrong place but i wanted to tell detroitslakemn that i am a huge vikings fan and my all time favorite player is adam theilin from detroits lake. adam's work ethic reminds me of my other favorite player doug flutie. two guys who fought uphill to succeed against all odds. exactly what all of us with ALS are trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back