Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Il
City
Chicago
I am 34 years old and have been noticing some strange and scary symptoms. About 4 months ago I started to notice generalized weakness in both of my legs especially when walking. I am hesitant to run because of how I feel. My legs feel tight, weak and awkward. My ankles are shaky when I move them up and down and my wrist as well. My shoulders also gets tired when I hold my arms up. I have twitching throughout my body. No clinical weakness has presented itself. Does ALS usually present bilaterally in the beginning? Would you expect to see atrophy before weakness? Would appreciate any feedback to ease my mind.

Re: Worries

What did your doctor say?

Strength was good with muscle testing, no atrophy, reflexes normal, negitive for Hoffman, babinski and clonus. Just wants me to wait and see if symptoms improve.

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum.

Looks like you have absolutely no need to be here - just like your doctor I can't see anything that even makes me think ALS even a little bit.

good luck :)

1) No.
2) Not usually.
3) Would consider diet, static stretching, bodywork, hot tub. If symptoms are daily, consistent and progressive, would see internist for workup for systemic dz/deficiencies.

Best,
Laurie

I noticed my ring finger and lateral pad of my hand have been twitching. Ring finger jerks side to side off and on like a spasm. Any thoughts on this?

You are good on searching the Internet I guess, Jacob?

No one on the planet should know what lateral pad on hand means. I don't. Don't feel the need to, either.

Please, stop searching for symptoms that probably aren't even there. If you have no babinksi, hoffmans, clonus, normal reflexes etc etc, you really are in the wrong place.

Please listen to your doctor and trust him

All the best with finding the true cause of your issues.

Ok thank you. Just not sure what could be causing the twitching, weakness, tightness and strange feeling in my legs for 4 months straight. They just get fatigued so quickly.

Ok thank you. Just not sure what could be causing the twitching, weakness, tightness and strange feeling in my legs for 4 months straight. They just get fatigued so quickly.

My colleagues above know ALS really well. Sounds like you need to work with your medical doctors. But in the meantime, don't worry about ALS.

I'm signing off this site not good for my mental health. I suggest a lot of others do the same. Let's relax, trust our doctors and live life. So many other people like me on this site. I wish you all the best. Everyone please donate. Thank you to all the members that spend countless hours on this site helping and giving us some peace of mind.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back