bart1

Country
bel
State
Brussels
City
Brussels
Hi all,

I already posted here some questions regarding twitches.
Now I've got a very weird twitch: a fine localized twitching in my upper back that is NON STOP. I can't see it but I feel it.

I always read that those localized non stop , not seen twitches are the ones seen in ALS
Does anyone have some info about this. I emailed my neuro but he doesn't respond.

I've been twitching widespread 22.5 months and had a clincial two weeks ago. However this started a week after the clinical. Can this non stop fine twitching in my upper back that I cannot see be the onset of my ALS?

Sorry to bother you all, hope someone has a good insight on this.

Thanks.
Bart

Hi Bart - I'm not sure on the accuracy of this, but in July, the neuro I saw at Mayo said that he could not see any of my fascics (even though they weren't seen by him at that time - they ARE visible at times). He told me that he did not doubt I had them, but he would be more concerned about the ones that are visible to others. SO I don't think you should worry about the ones you've described.

Bart, you are obsessed with twitching..I understand, I was the same..but not after almost 2 years! I can say that I get too hotspots only after long time..first 1 year I have never had any hotspot that lasted more than few seconds.

Until now it was not confirmed but latest study shows that psychological problems CAN cause fasciculations, read here:
Comparison of psychosocial factors between patients with benign fasciculations and those with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis Rana SS, Schramke CJ, Sangha A, Karpinski AC - Ann Indian Acad Neurol

So you really should visit psychiatrist and undergo therapy for your anxiety, I did the same last year and it did help me.

Thanks Miss91

I'm very concerned about this because on the aboutbfsforum I read that very fine localized twitching that is non stop and can't be seen is a sign of ALS. And now for the past 7 days I've got this in one tiny muscle in my back, however I've been twitching widespread for almost 2 years.

Bart i get these non-stop fasciculations in my rib cage all over it...infact my started with a localised twitch in my rib cage and i could not see it ,still cant and its pretty much non stop for the past one and a half year....along with this i have visible twitches all over my body...with a dirty EMG ....and i still dont have ALS.
as far as these invisible twitches are concerned they are twitches deep inside the pectoral & back muscles they are known as intercostal muscles , they are located between our ribs and when they twitch u can surely feel them but they are not visible .

Bart, I have posted quite new article from this year describing that fasciculations CAN be caused by psychiatric disorders. Is very important study, because that has not been studied yet. You definitely have some anxiety disorder and you will read that it really can cause twitching.
You will see the post when the moderators allow it.
You have read it on aboutbfs.com...this site is crap now, everybody who tells them anything different is liar and an idiot. They even deny to accept that there are a lot of people whose ALS develop after a few months twitching, even if they could read it from official sources, books, journals...do not worry about what they write here.

hi

Blizna

I'm not scared of a hot spot but it's because this hotspot is in my back and it is very fine localized non stop (more every second) twitching that is not visible.

could you have a pinched nerve

No back problems, so I guess no pinched nerve

Bart-- you need to chill. From what I heard, it was the very fine twitches that you can see but not feel that were the "worrysome" twitches, the opposite of what you're describing. But you know what? "Twitches" aren't ever really worrysome, the only time you should be concerned is if weakness and atrophy are progressing to the point that twitches are the least of your worries.

What you read on the aboutbfs forums isn't always accurate. What you read in the alsforums isn't always accurate. Medical information online is generally flawed, and you will hear conflicting things constantly. What you need to do is stay offline and be happy that if twitching is your biggest concern, you can live your life with little to no interference. Your constant worry and anxiety about twitching is affecting your life far more than the twitching itself, and if you keep it up, anxiety and stress will cause serious health risks in the form of heart attacks and general mental/physical fatigue.

Don't judge the twitches themselves, judge them by the company they keep. If your twitches aren't accompanied by progressive atrophy and debilitating weakness you need to chill out, log off and move on.

Fasciculations are either benign or pathologic in nature. The determining factors are discovered in an EMG.

It doesn't matter if you can see the twitches, feel the twitches or stop and go the twitches. What matters is the company the fasciculations are keeping and this is picked up on the EMG. PSW's and GMUP's I believe would be more of an indication than fasciculations. If you look at the diagnositic criteria for ALS, fasciculations aren't even listed.

If the fascics are not keeping the wrong company (as evidenced by an EMG), you do not have ALS.

BFS can be a real booger and can cause many more symptoms than just twitching. You can also have a pinched nerve without realizing any back troubles.

Twitching can be caused by a lot of other things outside of ALS.

Zaphoon

There are tons of things that can cause your problems. It seems like you are looking for something that isn't there. Anxiety can cause literally hundreds of physical symptoms. I think you need to reevaluate your situation and start living your life. I would trust the opinions of doctors trained and schooled in their profession. If you took your car to three different mechanics and they all told you that the same thing was wrong with your car, you wouldn't question that, would you? Your neuro is probably not responding because he is probably not concerned, and you shouldn't be, either.

Thanks for all your answers, however this fine localized upper back twitch is still there 24/7. My arm is getting weaker,this is a feeling I never had before.

Bart,

I have ALS and occasionally get "fine localized" twitching, but it never lasts more than a couple minutes.

Relax. I've never heard that if it's constant it points toward ALS. Be careful what you read on the internet.

-Tom

i still think it is a pinched nerve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back