Motor Neuron Disease Breakthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title is misleading.

It bothers me they insist on dramatic headings and then there is really nothing new in the article.

They still say: "At the moment, doctors do not know the cause of over 95 per cent of cases of the disease,".

I am leaving the link in as there seems to be some interesting things happening as far as gaining some understanding of ALS.

There might be a breakthrough in the next few years!

Let's all pray to that end!

That was a breakthrough in October 2006 when it was published in Science as well. How long does something get to be a breakthrough?

Went to an ALS "Happy to be Alive" party in South Jersey this weekend, it was wonderful, DJ, prizes delicious food and patients that were happy to be alive.

Anyway, the woman who hosted the event, got on the microphone and said if pharmaceutical companies (when economy was good!) found a drug to help males with male issues, why can't they find a drug or cure for ALS?

Patty:sad:

Hi all... this is an interesting development but again, it's hard to see how it will translate into a benefit for today's patients.

What might be worth noting is that there were two articles on motor neurone disease published in the telegraph today... and an article on the discovery of a gene linked to Autism was splashed across the front page of the Daily Mail today too which suggests that scientists are edging towards better understanding of the brain and what happens when it malfunctions.

i don't know if it's heightened awareness, or if stories about neurological diseases are increasingly making it into the news. already this week i've read two stories about MS, one was an advocacy story, the other a stem cell trial success in reversing some of the damage done by MS.

it's always nice to hear of new developments and that there are people out there working to help PALS and people affected by ALS -- it's all too easy to think that we've been forgotten about sometimes.

I finally got to speak with Dr Cox today and his team in Jackson ,Wyoming.He gave a detailed show on his research on Als and showed my wife and I what was going on in his lab.We were excited at what they have going on with there team of scientists from the world over.A article from a while back on the als website will give a brief explanationof what they are doing.
www.alsa.org/news/article.cfm?id=221

I trually believe more and more each day that als ,the sporadic type is caused by environmental toxins.They are confirming my suspicion.EXCITING research is going on.Keep well all!
James

I DONT KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I HAVENT EATEN ANY BAT POOP LATELY:lol:

Hi Pat...thanks for clarifying that scientific article about Guam....I like your style! ;) hmmmm flying foxes? who knew? Up here a flying fox is one that got to close to the highway and got clipped by a car :)
I may wait for your summarised version of some of these scientific posts in future and save myself a lot of time!
Thanks!
Rick

Dr Cox and his team are the lab researching bmaa...(in Guam).here is the link http://www.ethnomedicine.org/about/pcox.asp. I met with him a few days ago and will meet twice a month when they will update me on their research.I think this is the team that is heading quickly in the right direction.If you live near wyoming I suggest you drop in to their lab.Have a great day
James

It's good to see you all coming up with articles related to thier work in Jackson.Yes it is the bats..they eat the seeds darn it!

Dr Cox and his team are the lab researching bmaa...(in Guam).here is the link http://www.ethnomedicine.org/about/pcox.asp. I met with him a few days ago and will meet twice a month when they will update me on their research.I think this is the team that is heading quickly in the right direction.If you live near wyoming I suggest you drop in to their lab.Have a great day
James

Okay, you have given us a link to his resume. So what has this biologist done? I wish you good success when you meet with him. Let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back