Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ny
City
new york
I'm a 26 year old Male. I know the odds are minute, but here are my symptoms, as of a month or so ago.

I should preface by saying I have celiac disease.

weakness in my hands, my pinkies kind of feel dead in both hands and I find they fold under my ring fingers without my realizing. In turn my hands feel clumsy, they knock into things more, I seem to miss what I'm aiming to grab etc, but only by a small margin, though it is noticeable. This is my most distressing symptom. I do feel a bit of pain in my wrists and arm. I know there is not supposed to be pain at all in ALS, so that is actually somewhat encouraging. But worrisome is the fact that I have the same issue with my pinkie in BOTH hands. I couldn't have pinched the same nerve in each arm.

Terrible cramping in my right calf. Last night I woke up in pain from the muscles directly behind my knee. It can take several minutes for the cramps to go away.

I wait tables sometimes and find I'm dropping things a lot more.

My legs also feel weaker and my gait is sort of off, I notice this when I wait tables.

I feel weak in general and kind of out of it. Obviously very concerned about the possibility of ALS. I am looking for a neurologist, however I have only medicaid so not sure what my options are.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks for your reply. I was aware of the potential for neuropathy, but as I understand that leads to actual pain or numbness etc, rather than weakness.

One basic question (and forgive me, I understand some of you folks are replying here with your eyes, these inquiries must be tiresome at times): IS it possible for ALS patients to, for instance, have arm and hand weakness at the same time as they experience foot drop? I'm afraid I'm imagining all types of symptoms, but my arms do feel weak, and I've noticed I trip a bit more often, for instance when I'm going up stairs, not lifting the front of my foot enough....

You are at some risk for motor neuropathy which manifests as weakness. Unlikely but much more likely than ALS. And ALS starts in one area a hand or a foot not multiple. Look elsewhere or wait for a neuro opinion

Nikki is giving you excellent advice and suggestions here.

I find it interesting that you quickly flick off neuropathy because you don't quite fit one symptom, but are clutching towards ALS when you don't really fit any symptoms of it at all.

Please don't try to convince me you do by explaining your symptoms again.

As Nikki suggests, it's time to look elsewhere, sorry we can't help you, but glad we can say it does not sound like ALS at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back