Diagnosis
08/2012
Country
US
State
VA
City
Herndon
Good morning friends. On Tuesday my wife and I got the diagnosis we were expecting but still did not want to hear, I was officially diagnosed with ALS by my neurologist. He is referring me to the ALS clinic at George Washington U in downtown Washington, DC. Working on getting my appt scheduled with them. While expected it was still a shock. As scary as it is I will get through this with the love and support of my family along with all of my new friends here.

On to the ironic part. For years I played in a coworkers charity golf tournament for, you guessed it, ALS. My coworkers brother has been fighting this for 11 years now. Ironically that tournament is today. I obviously won't be playing but will be there to talk to her brother and family and show support. This obviously takes on much more meaning to me now then before. Anyway, just thought I'd share that.

All the best,

Kenny

I'm sorry Kenny. We're here for you.

So sorry Kenny. Thank goodness for the support from your family and friends.

Welcome to the club none of us want to be a member of. I had a probable diagnosis in 2009 and a definitive diagnosis in 2011. I go to the Dart ALS clinic at UVA, but I understand the one up there is quite good as well. I have found this site very helpful as it is my fellow patients the truly understand what this feels like. I'm glad you got lots of support and we're here for you to.
Holly

So sorry Kenny that you have to be here but as you can tell this forum is a wealth of knowledge and support. As you said, you will have the support of this forum and your family and friends.

So sorry for the diagnosis. Like you, we were expecting it, but it was a shock. Sounds strange, but there is no way to prepare for the words - you have ALS.

Thoughts are with you.

So sorry Kenny! Those are hard words to hear even when you expect it...we'll be on the path with you!

Jen

Hey Kenny,

Sorry that you are now a de-facto member here - but happy to welcome you. Life is often a series of ironies. Some 15 years ago, my sister founded the ALS society in her small town in tribute to a colleague of hers. Until then, I'd only vaguely heard of the disease, but did pitch in to help out at various fundraising events she organized over the years. She's now my family's go-to ALS expert.

Hey buddy, you have youth on your side - chances are you'll be around for years and years to come. And you have friends here.

The words are the hardest hear. Bittersweet day yesterday I went RWJ in NJ yesterday for clinic and appt. They remembered my sister who has now passed fron als. sorry we have to be here. Remember to live life and love. prayers to u and ur family.

We're here for you when you need us. I cried for weeks when I got the word. I admire your strength! Take care!

Kenny,
First, I can only echo what the others have said in that I am sorry about your news.
Second, when I got the same news last year one of the things I thought of was that for the whole of my military career I contributed to the Combined Federal Campaign and had the money sent to ALS research. Guess we both should have supported the Future Lottery Winners Club, then we'd have a different story to tell! Hang tough, brother, it's a bumpy ride at first but gets easier to wrap your head around over time.

awww so sorry, hugs and love being sent to you!

I was holding out hope it was something else. I'm really sorry to hear this news.

I am so sorry Kenny.. God bless you and see you and your family through this..

Sorry to hear Kenny. Hang in there man and know you are in my prayers. I have another EMG scheduled next week myself. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back