Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
FL
City
St. Pete
Hey folks,

I should preface everything by saying that I have severe health anxiety and am on disability for anxiety, OCD and depression. That being said, does the following sound symptomatic of ALS?:

Two months ago, I started having minor tingling in both my hands and some numbness. I ended up in the ER where they did complete bloodwork, a basic neurological exam and a CAT scan of my brain. All turned out normal. I followed up with my general practitioner. She also did a neurological exam and saw no reason for concern. I started researching MS.

Six weeks ago, the tingling and numbness stopped. However, I started having minor muscle twitches all over my body. I started researching ALS.

Four weeks ago, the twitches stopped. However, I started having random aches in my arms and calves, without cramps.

A week ago, the aches totally stopped. However, I started having periods of fatigue in my arms (especially forearms) and a feeling of weakness in my right hand. The fatigue is as if I'd squeezed a tennis ball repeatedly, but it doesn't stop me from actually continuing to do things with my hands and arms. It's like a feeling of fatigue without the effect of immobility. It is particularly noticeable after a few minutes on the computer. Also, I have been continuously testing my hands and arms for lack of coordination or weakness. I don't seem to have either.

In the past 6 weeks, I have started and stopped Lexapro and Ativan. I have been off the Lexapro for 3 weeks and the Ativan for 2 weeks.

What do you think? My mind always goes uncontrollably to the worst case scenario. :(

Rich

Rich, there is no ALS in your future, but you have really got to get that health anxiety under control before it literally kills you and destroys the people you love.

I...can't explain to you how strong my health anxiety is. I've tried everything. It started when I was 6 and thought I had cancer. By 17, I was convinced I was going totally blind. I can't stop it. Now it's ALS. My mind just goes there, pegs the meter and stays pegged.

Anti anxiety meds can affect your body. Going off and on meds that work by changing brain chemistry will definitely affect you physically.

I am super happy to tell you you don't belong on here. Nor do you belong on an MS forum. Talk to your doctor about your anxiety. Anxiety attacks can create a huge number of symptoms that might surprise you. Anxiety causes your body to be flooded with a variety of hormones that can make your hands tingle, affect your vision, cause pain, cause muscle tremor, etc, etc. I am not dismissing your very real symptoms, but telling you this is not the place for you.

Best wishes

Thank you, guys. I get so afraid.

Rich,
Please don't post here or read any more posts on this forum. Please get help for your anxiety. You can visit one of the many anxiety forums online.....there are hundreds.
I wish you all the best. I've experienced general anxiety and panic disorder but got complete remission from counseling and medication.
Best wishes,
Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back