Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
OR
City
The coast of
Just found out that someone else where I lived for the past 10 years was just diagnosed with als at the same time I was but here's the strange part there's only about 4K of us that lived there.

What's the odds of that? Don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking anything "Erin Brockavich"ish but more just amazed that 2 guys in a town of 4,000 would both develop als at the same time.

The brother of one of my coworkers was diagnosed the same time as my sister. There were less than 60 people working in my office. And another coworker was from a FALS family. Among my regular business contacts ( less than 300) there were 6 current or former relatives of PALS ( child grandchild or sibling). It just is not that rare. Only slightly less common than MS. When they get us a decent treatment there will be a lot of us around at one time

Wow.
There's a small town not far from here. It's not the end of the earth, but you can see it from there.

Anyway heaps of people in this tiny town have Crohns disease. Wayne's Aunty was one of them.

J x

We like to think of 'rare' as meaning well hell we'll never have contact with it.

Sadly, with the population rates on this earth, rare means we will still find it touching our lives with way less than 6 degrees of separation.

My next door neighbour beside the house I grew up passed away from ALS a few years back.

Four people in our Florida apartment of 86 units have passed away from ALS in the last 4 years!

I taught at a college for 26 years. During the past 15 years, 3 other professors died of ALS, the last one being only a few years ago. There are only about 300 full-time teachers there. Two worked for the Math Department and one was a friend and colleague who taught accounting, as I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back