Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
This is an initiative started by Steve Gleason, the former New Orleans Patriots player. He recruited a bunch of NFL players to make a public service announcement about the devastating effects of ALS. The ad will start airing Monday, right after Superbowl. It's perfect timing, since people's attention will be focused on football.

The ad is powerful and hard-hitting. It really drives home the devastation of ALS.

I am so grateful to these NFL players for using their fame and influence to draw attention to this disease.

Here's a link to the NYT story, which includes a video of the ad: In Starkest Terms, Players Share Message About A.L.S. - NYTimes.com

http://youtu.be/oxoBl5zZgNM

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be a wonderful for getting more attention on ALS Awareness!

Hot damn Team Gleason does it again ... this is AWESOME! I'm so proud to be a part of this team! :-D

No doubt this is a powerful message...........at least for me it was.

Just curious............I watch alot of TV these days & I have yet to see the spot air anywhere. Has anybody seen it on TV yet?

I'd like for everybody to have a chance to see it, not just those searching the internet for ALS related news.

Johnny, I hope it wasn't too upsetting for you to watch. I forwarded the link to my brother and think I inadvertently upset him. I hope I didn't also upset you. If I did, I'm really sorry.

I just wrote a response for Johnny, but it went to modland.

I hope the ad wasn't too powerful for the PALS here.

I just wrote a response for Johnny, but it went to modland.

I hope the ad wasn't too powerful for the PALS here.

It made me cry. Maybe if it makes enough people cry... Something will be done to expedite the research.

I still haven't seen it on tv.

Oh, Elaine, I'm sorry. I hate the thought of upsetting you. I can understand why the ad would hit too close to home for PALS.

But in terms of the general public, I think the ad's stark message is what's needed. Many people don't know what ALS is or what it does to people. I didn't before my brother was diagnosed. People tend not to pay attention until it impacts them directly. The message I'd really like to see get out there is the fact that ALS is a so-called "orphan disease," defined as one that affects fewer than 200,000 people at a time, and as such is overlooked for funding and research. That's simply unacceptable.

Powerful message. Exactly what's needed.

The Canadians also had a good PSA awhile back called "Head and Shoulders, knees, and toes"
You can find it online.

I just watched it, Deb. It was devastating, much more difficult to watch than the new NFL ad, in my opinion.

am fine rose...lucky people like me sometimes need a reality check....johnny

Aw, Johnny. Got to love your sense of humor!

Upsetting for me as well but am SO glad I saw it here before being blindsided during a tv show. But haven't seen it on tv yet . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back