Not open for further replies.

4mymom

Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Tazewell
Hi all! I've got a few questions and need some help please...

My mother is almost to the point where my father and I can't transfer her from the PWC to the transport chair or to the hospital bed on our own. To this point she's had the strength to balance herself while standing (with both of our help) and we could manage to get from one to the other. Now, the muslces in her shoulder/arm have artophied to the point where it's not safe to continue that routine. While trying to plan ahead, I've ran into several options and would love to from some of the PALS as to what has worked best for them.

I had a friend give us a manual Hoyer lift that had a 2 point harness with it, along with a knee to shoulder sling with the commode opening. I'm going to purchase the same type of sling that has a head support, figuring it's necessary? Our bathroom is not large enough to get the PWC into at the moment so a portable toilet is going to be necessary also. We have a bedside one now, with just the basic frame with low back and seat, but I've been looking for something that sits in a more reclined position. I was hoping to find possibly a shower chair that doubled as a toilet also. I've seen one online so far that retailed for $3000. Surely there has to be other less expensive options out there, but to this point I've apparently been searching in all the wrong places. If anyone has any other ideas or could point me in a certain direction I'm all ears and would greatly appreciate the input!

Thanks for the link CJ. I'm checking everything out at this point!

Chris, a thought... if you're able to find a padded seat, please do. I currently have a vinyl donut on my shower bench. I liken sitting on hard surfaces to "sitting on your elbows". The donut works but increases my instability, so that I need to hold onto the rail with one hand at all times... and it's also very hard for my husband to get the sling back on me. I'd like a showering chair, but want a padded seat.

I don't know if you will find this helpful or not but the following links are how we deal with this issue.

Sling

Lift

Chris, Another thought just hit... can your mother's current bedside commode be adjusted in the legs for height? If so, see how much improvement you can achieve in "tilting" the chair by shortening the back legs and raising the front ones... of course that would also change the angle of the commode pail.

And the answer to the question about having head support, is yes, in my opinion. Joel?

Ann, the padded seat makes total sense. I actually went in to our local Sam's Club about a month ago and while walking up the mattress wall I noticed they had 4 different 2'x2' samples of memory foam toppers out for only two styles available. I asked one of the managers if I could purchase one and they agreed to it...(they only asked for a $5 donation to the Children's Miracle Network). I would think you could trim one up and have a covering for it made to use if that donut becomes more and more of a balancing act. It's a stretch...but just a thought.

Joel, I dream of having the set up that you all do. I have looked at the ceiling mounts, but we have ceiling heat in our home and I've been advised to try and avoid drilling, screwing, or even looking overhead the wrong way. Our current bathroom is tiny and a remodel will require us to actually move it across the hall into a smaller guest room. Hopefully we can do this soon if our finances allow. For now we will have make any transitions in the living room with the hoyer. I like the idea of your modified sling. Do you recommend the headrest on the back?

Thanks for your ideas!

Go to Sammons Preston anc click on bath and toiletting and then bath and commode. There are a lot of options there.

AL.

That may very well be the holy grail of all the websites I've seen so far. Thanks Al, I appreciate it!

We have a Guardian drop arm commode, we used it as a shower chair and commode. It has strong arms that drop away, a padded horseshoe shaped seat, and the back is adj or removable, which we found very helpful when using the sling. Sometimes your back would hit the back before you were centerd over the commode. we removed the back and kept tension on the sling.

hope this help

Penny

Thanks for the response Penny! I hadn't considered removing the back and using the sling, but it sounds like a good idea.

Sammons and Preston is an excellent source! Hill-Rom purchased a Liko recently, they have a large number of lifts and swings. Products are available internationally including US and Canada.

Apparently my link to Liko was not approved.... so search for Liko patient lifts. They have a variety of slings, tracking and portable lifts to give you an idea what is out there.

No kidding about this being the holy grail of medical supply websites! Boy I wish I had known about it months ago!

Will do Dana! I want to find something that is as comfortable as can be, and I think I'm probably overlooking some good stuff out there because I may be digging too deep...if that makes sense. Thanks for the head's up ;o)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back