CALS
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
North Vancouver
Hello everyone, we are new members.

I am a caregiver, and my wife was newly diagnosed last October, 2008.

My question is: has anyone experienced the onset of ALS after head trauma? We were in a car accident late August 2007 - we were in a taxi which was completely stopped in a construction zone. The car behind us, travelling at significant speed, rear-ended our taxi which then collided with the car stopped in front of us. We both experienced severe double whiplash. My wife's first ALS symptoms (difficulty walking) began to appear in December 2007. Today, (March 31, 2009) she can barely walk.

Her health comes first and we are doing everything in that regard. But we still feel that the accident was a precipitating factor/cause of the onset of my wife's ALS. Our theory is that when the nervous system is jarred violently, anything can happen subsequently, and if one has the underlying pre-disposition towards developing anything (like ALS), head trauma may lead to other neurological developments and/or illnesses.

Therefore, we are debating whether to litigate against the driver who hit us, because we believe the accident caused the onset of the ALS. It's a big decision for us.

Since my wife's diagnosis, we have heard numerous anecdotal cases of individuals like us, who experience head trauma and subsequently develop ALS. However, a search of the medical literature on the Internet, shows a distinct lack of clinical investigative studies being able to conclusively PROVE a connection between trauma and ALS.

I am writing to ask your help: do you or anyone you know have ALS as a result of trauma similar to our experience?

Is there any clinical research supporting this hypothesis?

Thank you for your help.

Buddha John

I responded to your (same) post in the General Discussion About ALS/MND forum.

STRANGE! YES, Tammys first symptom showed up after a fall and she hit her head VERRRRRY hard. She was walking our dog, and he lunged forward causing her to fall. She broke some fingers and required stitches to her head. When her first symptom showed up and we went to the Dr. I thought that she may have damaged a nerve when she fell and I kept telling the Dr's that everything started subsequent to the fall.
Anyway I thought your post was interesting.
Mark

In my case, I hit my head after my diagnosed.

Hey PDaddy....yup...even if we didn't before seems like most of us get a bonk or two on the noggin after things start to go!
We should all be issued helmets after diagnosed!

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back