Diagnosis
01/2006
Country
US
State
xxx
City
on the plains
My husband is entering his third year of our ALS journey. During the past several months his skin is getting dryer and dryer. We have been to several doctors and tried many things. We have purchased a humidifier, used creams and lotions, changed soap products. He takes vitamin e for this as well. I know this is fairly common for PALS. It's driving him crazy. Any suggestions?

dry skin

My husbands Aunt told me about a lotion that they sell at Family Dollar stores. It has an aloe base and it works really good. Its in their Nautrals line. Its a big bottle and it sells for $1.00 a bottle. My whole family uses it now.

Sis

dry skin

This is a sure fix.

Shower/bathing only Cetaphil body/face wash

daily face, ears, neck (if top is bald like my guy!) use only Cetaphil moisturizing cream
I buy it in the big 20 oz. tub container

Now this is the best kept secret: entire body when dry BAG BALM OINTMENT
His nurse ordered it for him. It was used for cows utters by dairy farmers. It works
great and your cuticles feel great after rubbing it all over him.

I agree with the bag balm, it acts as a barrier to hold moisture in. It seems to work quickly if there is a crack in the skin.

If you're looking for a product that is petroleum free we found something that works better than anything I've ever tried. . It is made by Nature's Gate and is a thick lotion with colloidal oatmeal. I buy the fragrance free variety, but there are also some scented ones. My son who is in the military, swore by it when he was over in the dry middle east desert heat. I get it at Whole Foods, but I've seen it other places, such as the Vitamin Shoppe.

I hope you find something that works for him.

For the dry skin I have experienced I have found supliments like B12 and Folic acid have helped because lotions and cremas were not helping.

Thank you all so much. I've got my list ready and we're anxious to try these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back