Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
Iowa
City
Iowa City
I’m going to be taking delivery in a few weeks on a Permobil PWC courtesy of the VA. We’ve been looking at purchasing a vehicle that will accommodate the PWC and hope to benefit from the collective wisdom here. We live 2 miles down a gravel road in Iowa, a place where winter is a serious season. We also have a somewhat long gravel driveway (75 yds or so). We’ve looked at the typical van conversions (Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota, etc.) and are concerned about their low clearance. We’ve also looked at the MV-1 (Google it to find out more), a vehicle built for wheelchair transport. It has more clearance, and seems generally well designed for its purpose, but also has some deficiencies—e.g. no removable passenger seat. It’s rear wheel drive and quite heavy (not a disadvantage in snow).

Anyone here with experience of the MV-1? Alternatives to either? I don’t want to pay more than necessary, but price is not the primary consideration. (I haven’t found anything in the archives through search.)

Ed

Hi Ed.

You may want to post this in the Military Veterans and the VA section as well. DH is a veteran & got his pwc and a ramp van grant from the VA.

vw

DH got his PWC from the VA and also got a VA grant for our ramp van with EZ lock. You should be eligible for a VA ramp van grant too.

In regards to your winter weather our Toyota Sienna has all wheel drive, tow package, front passenger seat removed with EZ lock installed so DH sits up front with me. We also had his seat belt lock moved over together with the drivers. Had to make sure the seat belt would reach that far or else they can put a seat belt extender on.

We have had several ramp vans over the years. When purchasing our vans we go to a Mobility Dealer rather than a Chrysler/Ford/Toyota dealer. At the Mobility dealer DH is able to get into different makes & models with his power wheelchair to see what works and what doesn't & to get measurements. What is critical for us when choosing a van is: (1) the opening height of the ramp door so that you have enough head clearance without having to bend your head forward or tilting the wheelchair back (2) the inside dimensions so that you have the most room to maneuver the pwc (3) the width of the ramp (4) the warranties on both the vehicle and the ramp (5) will it fit in our garage - length and height. After choosing the Sienna we were sweating whether it was too tall to fit into our garage but luckily without installing the travel rack on top we had enough clearance.

Instead of settling for current inventory at the Mobility dealer we were able to custom order the exterior color, the inside trim colors, etc. Our mobility dealer was able to coordinate this with VMI, Toyota and the VA.

I did take a look at the MV-1 and 2 thoughts come to mind. The ramp door swings out to open vs power sliding back out of the way. This would not work for us as the door would be in the way of some of the maneuvering I have to do. If what I read was correct, it would be great having one warranty that covers both the car and the ramp. That would eliminate the hassle we sometimes experience when the car dealership says its not a car warranty issue its a ramp warranty issue or vice versa.

We also looked at a Sprinter ramp van at a Mobility dealership who works with the VA. We loved the van but unfortunately it was too tall and too long to fit into our garage.

Hope you find this helpful.

vw

Thanks, vw. I do plan to take advantage of the VA grant, whichever vehicle we go for. There is a Mobility dealer in town that we have checked out and would certainly buy from if we go that way .

Perhaps my essential question, aside from wondering about the pros and cons of the MV-1 in general, is whether people have had issues with the low clearance of mobility-modified vehicles, especially if you live on non-hard surface roads.

Ed

Ed, I too, am a vet and received pwc& van through VA.
At first we didn't know $hit from shineola about this stuff but now after over a year we have some knowledge.
We also live way up a holler and bad road.
We got a dodge caravan 2014 rear entry conversion.
Mobility Works in Pittsburg was our connection and very good to work with the VA.
I don't like riding up front so don't need seat removal. I am using trilogy a lot in the van.
Had a week of side entry but found the extra room needed
to get in and out a pain the a$$ .
The conversion is low and at times will bottom out but we go slow when we see it coming usually at water breaks in our road.
Next time around we are looking to get Toyota senna w/ easy lock in and auto ramp but I think still rear entry.
Va doesn't tell ya everything, ( surprise)
Vets are entitled to two conversions in a two year period.
That means I get the van as all ALS vet do then get first conversion. Say all for 42,000 I use ,it get experience find out what really works for my situation then trade it all back in for say 32,000 after a year ,I then put down on a newer model
and get a second conversion from VA.
Sorry if this sounds confusing, but it's what I am going for.
Sprinter sounds good but to tall for my cals to drive.
The ford version is to small, so I am for senna next, I think.
Good luck.
Chally

Ed, looking at the MV1 I got pretty excited, until I saw the gas mileage and that side swing door. My guy would tear that door up, I'm sure.

We have Honda Braun conversion, and I've torn up the ground effects a number of times on curbs. I hate the clearance.

We want to be able to tow, but my other big wish is for a van that I can stand up in while tending to my guy. We've done a few cleanups in the Honda and my back is screaming NO MORE.

So, I'm leaning towards one of the larger conversions, but they typically don't have the roll out front seat, and Matt isn't ready to be relegated to the back by himself.

We're looking hard, but are kind of at a standstill. For something taller than a minivan conversion, we need the garage door replaced and we won't know until our contractor is done exactly how much clearance we will gain.

At any rate, except for the mileage I love the MV1. The door I could work with, but 15 mpg is rough, and I don't even want to know what it will become when towing a trailer.

I wish I had another option for you--I'll be watching this thread.

Oh, and the VA conversion (I thought) was twice in 4 years). That means you can have two vehicles converted now and then wait 4 years before replacing them, or buy one now and replace it with another, but then wait for your 4 year anniversary before having a third converted.

Becky

Actually chally, you get a new conversion every 2 years. Our va had a driver rehab group who measured you in your chair and told you what vehicles you would fit in. We loved our sienna but I had 2 issues.....the side entry for safety purposes was still very tight for turning steves chair. The weightload is only 1000 lbs added with the vehicle. Space is a premium because of this. By the time you add in the chair,occipants etc we werent supposed to take anything with us. The trilogy and other breathing machine, clothes and a cooler made packing a nightmare. The chair , if in the middle section, means nothing there can be used for storage. Plus it flies around. Just some things to consider

Steph, I never thought to ask, and nobody has ever mentioned, added weight load limits. Thanks!
Becky

I love our Sprinter for the cheap conversion (a power ramp and tie downs are all that are need. No roof raising or floor lowering). Tall door for easy entry. High roof available from the manufacturer, not as a conversion. Big windows for excellent view for a wheelchair passenger whether in the front or back. Lots of storage in our mid-length size, tighter turning radius than our previous Ford vans. Can take up to 4 passengers in addition to driver and wheelchair person. Downside is not fitting in standard garage. and absolutely not good on snow and ice. Probably much better if we got snow tires for winter, but they aren't essential for the average Indiana winter -- and we like to stay home on bad days anyway! The new Ford Transit is very similar to the Sprinter and the Smaller Transit Connect might be ideal for people who want in town transport and low cost.

Thanks for all the input. We've ruled out the MV-1 for several reasons, chiefly because the dealer is 2 hours away and any repairs or maintenance on the ramp and associated equipment would be very inconvenient. vw mentions the Siena all-wheel drive, but our mobility dealer tells us we can't get a conversion on the all-wheel drive model, only front wheel. I know the Sprinter comes in a four (or all-wheel) drive version. I'm wondering if that can be converted for wheelchair access. It would go a long way to helping it function on slick roads--though I agree with Diane that the best strategy is to stay home. Our local mobility vehicle dealer is supposed to be looking into this (a 4-wheel drive Sprinter conversion) for us; I've found it challenging to find clear information on the web and the dealer hasn't gotten back to us. I'm afraid we may end up with one of the standard models and, like Chally, learn to compensate.

Ed

Call the va facility you visit. Your driver rehab person can give you exact info on what to get, options available, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back