Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
I'm sorry to bring this up on Christmas Day, everyone.

I needed to ask your advice, please.

I just fell a few minutes ago, the first really true full fall I've had.
I am sore in places, but basically feel okay.
I know it's so important for us not to fall.
Does anyone know if there is anything I should or could do to perhaps help lessen
future complications from this fall?

I am here alone in my apartment right now.

Thank you, on Christmas Day.
Laura.

If you are sore I am a fan of ice. Also rest though not so much that you stiffen up. I am sorry you fell. Since you were not significantly injured it can be a good warning and allow you to address the issue so it does not happen again
Analyze what happened? Why did you fall? Is it something in your environment? Tripped over a rug? Too much clutter?
Did you try to do something you can no longer do safely? Do you have footdrop so you tripped over your own feet? Did something just give out on you? Do you need an afo? Walker? Wheelchair? Any of the above may be hard to accept but not waiting can save injury( or worse) and help preserve strength. Sorry this happened

Thank you so much, Nikki.

I will try the ice, and rest in bed for a little while, but not for overly long.
I definitely agree.
It is a very good warning.
I was trying to do something that I now realize I can no longer do safely.

God Bless, Many Thanks,
Laura.

Hi, Laura,
Ice no more than 20 min at a time, soak tonight in a tub or shower, and as Nikki says, analyze the fall! And your tube is OK? Adequate hydration and nutrition is important for healing.

After you rest, go out or do some walking/stretching in the apt. to help avoid the stiffness.

One fall to a customer, please...

Enjoy the season,
Laurie

Thank you, Laurie.

How wonderful it is to have Nikki and you to turn to.

I appreciate your suggestions.
Thank goodness my feeding tube is okay.

My Best to You,
Now and always,
Laura.

Laura I'm sorry to hear of your fall. Also remember a regular schedule of some analgesic that you are used to taking helps get over the hump too i.e. tylenol for some people, advil for others etc. Often a couple of days of taking an analgesic every 6-8 hours along with the icing really helps. Just don't over do the analgesic as long term they are hard on the stomach and liver. I recently had to put away all my beloved cheerful scatter rugs due to my hubby tripping. Better them gone than him breaking a bone. All the best to you and Merry Christmas.
Laurel

Laura,

Sorry but I don't want you to over simplify this. Did you hit your head when you fell, that could put things in a different category even if you think you're generally ok.

If you caught yourself, or landed on your butt or knees, etc. and you really think you're just bruised I kinda agree with the above. I think Laurie is a nurse and probably knows a lot more than I do but as a collegiant athlete and 24 years in the military I had more than my share of contusions. I was always told ice the area for 24-48 hours ( you're trying to stop the bleeding and minimize the swelling). After that move to heat to increase circulation and promote healing. Going to a heating pad too early can increase the bleeding, swelling, and size of your bruise. Not sure I'd go to a heating pad tonight.

BE CAREFUL, do not taking falling lightly. I personally know a woman that fell in her apartment and died from her injuries. She was not disabled, she tripped on her carpet, banged her head going down, got up and walked next door for help, was immediately taken to a hospital ER, slipped into a coma and died two days later without regaining consciousness. Those of us with ALS are more prone to falling and may well have considerably less upper body strength to break our fall.

Take care.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Laurel is the nurse, not me, but to be clear I don't think either of us was talking about moving to a heating pad tonight -- just generally mobilizing the body overall.

And Laura, I was presuming you would've mentioned if you hit your head, but of course Bill is right that you want to be alert for any dizziness, vision changes or confusion, any of which suggest the ER.

Best,
Laurie

Bill good post! Absolutely your questions about whether she hit her head are key, and we did assume she would have mentioned it --but we all know assuming is not the thing to do. Nice to know we have a community who cares and speaks up! I am a retired RN so I am dusty and rusty LOL.

The standard prescription is rest, ice, compression, and elevation. I got a chair while I can still walk because my balance suck. The last time I fell, I broke my ankle, was immobile for six weeks nonweightbearing and when it was over I could no longer self transfer.

Laura how are you doing now?

I'm so sorry you had a fall, you need a plan for what to do if you fall and can't get up. Do you have a medi-alert, I think we were talking about them with you a little while back?

Laura, I am so sorry to hear about your first "real" fall.

The advice others have given is sound. Seek medical advice if there is any concern, as early treatment could reduce recovery time and improve the outcome.

I started falling before diagnosis and had some minor to moderate injuries. I have not had any injuries from a fall since diagnosis, mostly because of luck, but also due to diligence.

I am careful where and how I walk. I avoid taking risks (though, I have not eliminated them). I started using a wheelchair early.

I have to say the wheelchair use is a primary reason I fall less. I find that when I am fatigued I have a greater risk of falling. Using the wheelchair dramatically reduces my fatigue. The muscles that don't work still don't work, but the ones that do still work are fresher and able to keep me from tipping over.

The reduced fatigue in my legs was an expected result of using the wheelchair. What was surprising was the reduced fatigue in my core.

My wheelchair has wonderful lateral thoracic supports. By supporting my thoracic area, they dramatically reduce the fatigue in my core, which I believe has significantly reduced the incidence and severity of falls for me.

Best wishes on your recovery, and keep rule number 1 in mind going forward;)

Steve

I want to thank all of you so much.
I tried getting on to the forum yesterday for a number of hours and couldn't get on...
Thank You...Each of You!

Very fortunately, I did not hit my head...
I am doing fine today, just a bit sore...
I have paperwork or such for the medic alert thingy,
But with all that's been going on with surgery, recovery, etc, haven't
gotten it filled out yet...
New Number One Priority! :)

Thank you all so much for caring,
Laura.

I'm sorry, Steve, your post wasn't there when I started writing mine.
Thank you, Steve, so much, for your thoughtful, caring, and enlightening
message.
I appreciate the time you took to help me to learn about this particular subject.
It is very helpful, and thought provoking.
God Bless, and Thank You,
Laura.

Hi Laura,

I am so sorry I am just now seeing this. I hope you are ok now. Do you have any care coming in now or family you can call close by? Steve pushes the limits of what he can do. Do you have a cane or walker there with you that you can use? You have had so many replies and they are a lot more knowledgeable and experienced then me. I am just letting you know that I am here and praying for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back