Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
kanas
City
kanas
my doctors got me a neck brace a week ago it is the headmaster collar. It's not working out to good it hurting me having it on. I have been looking at another one. Can anyone using one can tell me more about it.

No experience but I don't like the look of it. It does not support the neck itself more pulls the head back. Having support of the neck seems like a comfort and possibly a safety thing. My sister had a serious neck injury requiring emergency surgery because of not wearing a collar and I don't think this would have prevented it

Davbo,

Agree w/ Nikki, that is for people who still have the motion, just need more of the prompt.
Could suggest better alternatives if you could share whether you need support front to back, side to side or both. And whether you had any kind of collar before you tried the Headmaster, and whether you need support all the time or at certain times, e.g. will you be using in the wheelchair, sling, or...?

As far as the "high end" collars, the only one that Larry had any success with was the TracCollar, also available on the site you linked to. But that was only a last resort; most of the time he used the Embrace Sleep Collar (not when sleeping!) or the Ita-Med medium density cervical collar.

Steve got this bracce at the va davbo. It is important thaat it is adjusted properly. Make sure a pt or ot has fit it properly to you.

i need a brace that don't go around the neck. the one i got just goes around the back of it. i can hold and turn my a little still. just can't hold it up to long. any ideals. i would like something so i can be in and of my wc.

Dave, check out some of Dalvin's posts. He has a neck brace that just might be the ticket for you. :)

I would say Shawnees neck brace but the quality is awful. Have had 2 and they both fell apart. The clinic recommended one that Dalvin wears forgot the name but it has to be fit right. I also feel like I am choking when I wear it- I don't know if this is in my head or not. Without it I can't hold my head up and my neck really hurts.

I am afraid this might be next for me also. Head constantly hanging to one side or the other and my neck is always fatigued. I think things are progressing to quickly.

>I think things are progressing to quickly

Ditto that!

Steve has had the best luck lately with a soft collar from the drug store. It doesn't pinch, is cushioned, and he is comfortable. While it is a little warm and doesn't provide the support of some, it is washable and relieves the strain. For now we are going with it.

I am afraid this might be next for me also. Head constantly hanging to one side or the other and my neck is always fatigued. I think things are progressing to quickly.
sorry to hare. my head started that way.

i thought losing my hands an arms was bad but not being able to hold my head up really sucks.

Does not holding your head up cause headaches? Mine have been horrible lately.

Steve hasn't had headaches per se but bad neck pain.

You certainly can get headaches from a neck issue Pete. A collar might help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back