Diagnosis
03/2013
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Odessa
Wondering why I have developed a cough while eating. It is sporadic the rest of the time. Assuming it's part of this "journey". Started about a week ago feeling like I needed to cough from deep in chest, not full blown through mouth. Had a barium test yesterday, know results Monday. Swallowing, speech, arms, legs affected and using PEG.
Thanks for any info. God bless!

Hi, His Joy,

I've experienced this problem myself and, I have Bulbar onset so, I'm assuming we both are "on the same boat" when it comes to symptoms.
I cough a lot but my coughing is triggered more by eating salty and spicy foods than sweets.

I've been told that if I tuck my chin while eating and I do just small bites at a time, this problem should largely go away. I've tried it and it has...somewhat worked for me (not all the time, though). The same with thin liquids such as water, been told to do small sips and also tuck my chin to minimize the likelihood of water going down the "wrong pipe" and ending up with pneumonia which is the No. 1 killer of PALS with Bulbar onset and swallowing problems.

I see you had a swallowing test, probably ordered by your speech pathologist at the Clinic.
This test is done to see the strength of your swallowing muscles as well as to see if there is any aspiration of food to the lungs. I underwent this test too a while ago, and didn't detect any food aspiration (knock on wood).
I hope the test results are good for you.

In the meantime, try the tricks I mentioned above and let us know if they worked for you.

Take care.

NH

Last edited:
Hi, Nighthawk,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry I had not mentioned Bulbar onset! I have also found it helps some to sit up, with a straighter back.. I had been using your other tricks, as you said helped some of the time. Amazing how each of us have similar situations, and solutions. That is why this forum is such an encouragement.

KC

If you drink your liquids from a straw, you will 'automatically' tuck your chin. Very helpful as it's hard to remember to always drop that chin.

It's headed down the wrong tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back