sadvice12

Country
ca
State
ontario
City
toronto
Hello everyone!

thank you so much to who ever started this forum - for the past 1 week this has become a great resource for me.
my mother in law has just got an als diagnosis. She is in india with family and we will be there with her shortly.

her symptoms started with weakness in the right arm, travelling to the right leg and now to the left arm and leg to teh point where she is almost immobile now. her speech is clear, her swallowing is fine and breathing are all ok.

She has however had problems with diarrhea and a loss of appetite.
any suggestions for these two symptoms? is diarrhea common in als?

also, although she is under the care of one of the best research hospitals in the country there is still not much available by ways of counselling, help to manage the symptoms, etc.
does anyone on this forum have any information on resources in india where we can get access to mobility and other devices, resources that can help us manage this illness and make her journey as comfortable as possible - she would prefer to remain in her home?

thanks so much and may this journey be as painless as possible for everyone suffering from this disease.

I have the opposite problem. Everyone is different though. I wish you luck!

Sorry to learn of your mother's ALS diagnosis. Also, I feel for your family who also has to deal with your mother's condition. I often think the caregivers have a burden equal to us patients. I echo Ms. Pie's comments regarding diarrhea. With ALS patients it is usually opposite of your mother's problem. Perhaps a consultation with a family doctor could help with this situation. Unfortunately, I have no helpful information of treatment available in India. However, you have come to the right place for information. The ALS Forum is a worldwide network, so hopefully our friends around the world can be more helpful. My very best wishes go out to your mother and to your family.

I'm sorry your mother in law is battling this issue on top of everything else. That symptom isn't generally part of the disease. Did she begin any new meds around the time this issue began? That might be something to consider, if so. Since its not an ALS symptom, I'd suggest asking her doctor. Pals can still get all the same ailments, bugs and viruses as the rest of us, unfortunately. Sorry I don't have more to offer, but others may have more ideas. Take care, and welcome to the forum.

My husband had that problem...but it was more he couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough. He thought it might be the baclofen so his doctor has changed his med. He hasn't mentioned it since the change.

Medications can be a cause--but if she's not eating, that could as well...if nothing solid is going in...or if not much at all is going in, it's possible that what comes out is going to be soft/liquid as well.

I'd contact the ALS people in Canada before you leave they might know whom to contact in India.

Medications can be a cause--but if she's not eating, that could as well...if nothing solid is going in...or if not much at all is going in, it's possible that what comes out is going to be soft/liquid as well.

I'd contact the ALS people in Canada before you leave they might know whom to contact in India.

A friend who also has ALS is having that problem. When I saw my ALS Nero a few weeks ago and asked him if diarrhea was a common problem with ALS. He said that constipation was a typical problem, mostly due to the sedentary life ALS brings on. He said diarrhea was more related to meds and diet from his experience.

with loss of appitite is she doing a lot of liquid, ie ensure, boost,if so she needs to add fiber like citrecel or metamucel. it may not be diarrhea but previously refered to as pudding. fiber thickens this uo and return to more natural state. been through it, done it

I went through this for months. As things were progressing all the valves in the digestive system would just open u right after eating. It progressed to fasiculations in the descending coon which then stopped working about two years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back