Not open for further replies.

MuonOne

Country
US
State
New York
City
New York
Has anyone obtained a tracheotomy but not used a respirator?

My PALS is bulbar-onset, and a trach was recommended soon after diagnosis to maintain his airway. He was diagnosed a year ago and has been steadfast in his desire not to be vented. He does require some non-invasive respiratory support in the form of O2 at night, nebulizer, and frequent suctioning and cannula changes. A vent is a uniquely personal choice; to some people, it's no big deal - just another piece of equipment - but some PALS just don't want that quality of life. Others start out with one opinion and change their minds along the way and opt for the opposite.

It is possible to have the procedure done and not be on a vent, if that is your question. It's best to do it before breathing issues decline -- same goes with the PEG

Check with Halfin. I believe that is what he did.

its fairly common to have a trach without needing the vent right away. some use the vent just at night or when needed.

Yes, I had a trache in April but I am still using the ventilator only at night. I don't really even need it then, but I have sleep apnea so it keeps my oxygen levels up.

I am not too happy with the trache and wish I had waited until I needed it. I still cough a lot and the trache care is time consuming. It's not horrible or anything, my other needs are more restrictive, but I'm just not getting benefits worth the trouble at this point.

My husband decided to wait until he needed the trache. On August 22, he needed it. Unfortunately, the paramedics that came to our house put did not intubate him correctly. By the time the doctor at in the ER corrected it, he was brain dead. For those out there that know they want to go this route, do it BEFORE you need it. On the days that you wish you had waited, be glad you didn't.

I am so sorry Missy.

Thank you Missy for sharing that, though it must have been painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back