Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
CO
City
Colorado
I have the prescription from my primary care doctor. How do I go about getting a leg brace?

Thanks!

I had mine made by a vendor that works with the physical therapist I was seeing. It is a good idea to take your time withe the selection as there are several types and choices. Try several before committing and think about what pair of shoes you will wear.

I have to admit, that after all the fuss, I have never used mine.

- Jerry

I use mine when I go out, but sometimes I find it easier to walk without it... it is taller, so it helps stabilize my leg, but I've still fallen wearing it. Get a cool color or pattern, I have a solar system design on mine (I almost went for the Tweety Bird, but didn't like the big design on it).

I had to call and get it approved through the insurance first, and used a company called Nopco... they say "National" in its name, but not sure if they are or not! The ones here seem to all be located in hospitals. I had an $80+ copay, it cost nearly $1K for the foolish thing!

Hmm...wondering if it's worth the hassel and the money. Thanks for replying Jerry and Helen!

Just clarifying... are you talking about a knee brace, or an ankle brace (AFO), or something else?

I'm sorry for not clarifying. I need a brace for foot drop.

Great... that would be an ankle foot orthotic (AFO). I had them made for both ankles, and although I don't walk anymore, I still wear them regularly because it helps keep my foot at a good angle even in my wheelchair (as recommended by my PT).
I will also PM you the contact information for the gentleman that did mine who is out of Denver. He was recommended by the folks at the ALS clinic at University Hospital.

Brian

I wear mine all day, every day. Depends on your particular needs as to how often you wear them. I wouldn't be able to stand up without mine. Check your local directory for 'orthotics'. You will probably have to go through several adjustments to get them to fit comfortably. As for shoes, they will need to be deeper and wider than your normal shoes. Google 'Drew' or 'Answer2'.

Thanks a bunch Brian!

I love my AFO for my footdrop. I use a Blue Rocker toe off brace and it makes me walk normal...I love it so much. For a year now I have been able to walk without fear of falling. All you have to do is go to a Orthopedic/prothesis place and ask for a toe off...try it out. there is a lighter version of the blue walker... you have to have a shoe that has an insole you can remove... give it a try, I cant say enough about mine!

The AFO that I use and works pretty well. It was recommended by my wife who is a physical therapist. My therapist at the clinic also thought this is a good brace. Good luck!

**link removed**

Marta, I sent you a message. Lori, thanks for giving her the info & links. The only thing I really have to add, is, if you don't know where to get the AFOs made, your clinic will have a vendor they use, and they can get in in contact.

The AFO I have did not have to be made....it came as is and the therapist just fitted me with the right size....I'm telling ya, I started walking up and down the halls with it and I was so overjoyed at how it made me walk...If all you have is a footdrop and some leg weakness, the toe-offs are fantastic.

Thank you Helen, Mike, Lori, Sharon and Rose a bunch! :) You all are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back