Diagnosis
02/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
McEwensville
I don't know if anyone uses it but the FDA has issued a warning to stop the use of the thickening gel SimplyThick after the death of two infants was reported.

Just checked the FDA website and the only recent references for SimplyThick refer to premature infants, not adults in general or PALS in particular. Anybody got a link to further information?

I was just told about this product last thursday. I dont need thickening yet but would like to know what they find. I heard this was or is a better product from a use standpoint.

Thanks for the info Jeff..

It may well be for infants only. The story I read spoke of infants but did not specify for the warning.

From what I understand about this case, the bowel condition that caused the death of the infants happens occasionally to preemies, but it usually starts earlier while they are still in the hospital. In these two cases, the infants had been released from the hospital and the condition started at home.

I'm guessing that the parents had been told to use SimplyThick for the same reason PALS are told to use it -- to prevent choking on thin liquids (aspiration pneumonia hazard) and SimplyThick got caught up in the Adverse Event Reporting System because the circumstances were unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back