Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
US
State
Wisconsin
City
Madison
Hi, I've had hospice for 2 weeks. First they prescribed morphine for my back and leg pain. Gave me the shakes so bad that I peed all over my favorite chair without even knowing it. Everything shook. So they switched me to Vicodin 4 times a day. Shook uncontrollably. Today I'm not taking a single pill of any kind. Plan is to just sit still and not move so there's no pain. So far that's not working. the nurse recommends ativan. That makes me shake too. Any of you have any ideas? The hospice doctor and nurse say it's my "disease." They're pushing me back to my neurologist. It's the pills that cause the shaking. Any ideas before I jump?

Thanks,
Carol

Carol, I don't have any ideas for you, just words of support. I, too, was on morphine and vicodin for awhile and I asked my doctor to please take me off the those medications. He switched me to methadone, which at first I fought against because I always attributed methadone to heroin addicts, until my doctor drilled into my head that it started off as a pain medication but benefits were found in other areas as well. I've now been on methadone for almost a year and since I got over my headtrip about the medication, I'm very happy with it. Carol, you can't just sit and not move. Keep trying and don't give up! There are so many different medications out there. One will fit, your doc just has to find it for you. Make him find it for you! I pray for you and wish you luck for relief soon!

Very interesting! My husband can be sensitive to medications. I'll keep this in mind.

Never did that to me at all. Caffeine does though. Zannax helps my shakes.

Caffeine gives me the shakes as does COLD FX. It contains ginseng and that seems to be the culprit. COLD FX has stopped my cold in its tracks many times even though I am in constant contact with 2 preschoolers who catch any and everything that is going around.
So I take only the minimum dosage and the shakes are minimized.

ND

I've noticed visiting Micheline that morphine gives her the shakes. She went from pills to injections for pain management. She is going off her bi pap soon and upping the morphine. Soon enough I guess she wont have to worry about any of it.

I don't have anything to add re shaking from pills but I do want to say, Steve, please let Micheline know that we are thinking of her. I think that I can speak for many of us when I say that even though she hasn't been here for a while we miss her and wish her well and hope that she can be as comfortable as possible.
Barry

Please read Steve's blog.

Good luck, young man, to you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back