Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
ga
City
North East
There has been a lot of info on the devices (Vmax, laptop & desktop, Mac & PC's) and on the software choices.

What I am looking at is the access method and mounting on a chair for a speech device. Also the access method for a desktop.

We had a Vmax and a Windows 7 on a desktop.

For the chair: I don't know if touch is still possible according to how it is mounted. Keyboard and mouse would be in the way. Is the only way going to scanning?

As for mounting methods: I see the Daedelus and CJT are the most used. I am looking into the Mount"n Mover.

What we are looking for is something he can use for speech when out but mounted easy enough that he can get up. He uses the chair to get somewhere but does get out to do things.

The desktop: He has Etriloquist loaded but since most of speech is away from the desktop we are looking for access for computer use. EZkeys seems to have a smaller onscreen keyboard but that looks like scanning again.

The tech guy didn't think much of joystick or headmouse or the footmouse(would have shoes and afo). It seems like he is for the eyemax or scanning. Since he has not used scanning is it more a matter of getting use to it sooner than later.. I just hear it is slow vs a direct method.

My husband is about in the same situation as georgia's. Anybody got any suggestions re: where do you go from typing/using a hand mouse if you still have a little use of hands or a hand (no longer able to type or effectively use the hand mouse). Is the next level to use a switch device with on screen keyboard/head mouse or camera with on screen keyboard? Nothing in between - just a jump to these type devices?

Looks like ALSA in Minnesota has evaluated the Mount'n Mover. Wish the rest were familiar with it.

Oh yeah, anybody besides Jeff (Zen) use the Mount'n Mover? If so, on PWC or where?

On a good day I can still move a mouse enough to use it. But I can't operate the buttons to click so I have a large external button that I can click with my other hand. I use Dasher and an on screen keyboard that is part of Windows. Works well for me. On a bad day I use a headmouse.

I still need to come up with a suitable try for when I am not at my desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back