Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
I'm talking about infection and intolerance and being uncomfortable. My husband is now red and swollen around the Peg, despite taking care like we should. He says it has always been "uncomfortable." Which, I suppose it would be with a hole in your body and a tube inserted.

If he is telling me this, there is a real problem. He doesn't EVER complain about pain like a "normal" person would!

Anybody have any thoughts? Please?

I am sorry to hear about this problem! He could be allergic to the silicone it is made out of. Talk to your doctor and make him replace it with a different material one. Good Luck, that is no fun!

Mine hurts really bad when I forget to turn it everyday. If I do forget, my skin attaches itself to the PEG and every little movement hurts.

Here is what I do if it is getting red.

People may say its stupid , but it works for me.

- give it a twist at 180 degrees and back.
- clean it thoroughly with warm soap and water.
- next try and disinfect the area - I have these sponge swabs with clorhexidine 2% DIN 0224513
- pull the peg out as far as you can without yanking the sucker out and try to clean it
- then I put triple action polysporin at the peg site , enough to be dragged down into the hole when you release the peg - I usually spin and pull the tube back and forth to work it down
- I go without gauze or anything else around the site
- wear a dark t-shirt , because it may want to ooze out.

Usually It clears up over night, and the worst I have gone for is two days.

I do agree with Joel that if you can not get relief , see a doctor

Like I said , it works for me, do with it what you will. Hope it helps.

Glen

CJ, I am sorry that he is having these problems. After the first month with mine I almost forgot that it is there so it must be some kind of allergic reaction. I don't really do much of anything as far as cleaning mine, I usually just tape it to my stomach after I use it and at night. I have always been able to get away with cleaning it with just some saline solution on a Q-tip.

It does sound like something to get looked at though, he shouldn't even feel it, the only time I do is if I sleep on my stomach or wear a shirt that is too tight.

I'm using hydrogen peroxide and Mupirocin.

He can't help but turn over on his stomach. Sigh...

CJ I would query a sensitivity to the Mupirocin. That may be more likely than the silicone tube. Good luck.
Laurel

Yea, Liz only complained about the PEG the first day because it was too tight. After the doctor loosened it up she didn't even notice it. The catheter though was a completely different story. Never did get that sorted out. Lots of talk about silicone allergies, but we just gave up on it. Not an option with the PEG I'm afraid. Hope you get it resolved.

CJ Les can not sleep on his stomach because of his tube. We recently bought an "Under Armour" brand spandex type undershirt that he wears all the time now. It fits real tight and keeps the tube in place. Maybe he could wear this at night so the tube doesnt pull. HUGS Lori

CJ, do NOT use Hydrogen Peroxide! The tissue around the PEG is mucous membrane-only use plain water and a mild soap or Normal Saline to clean it. Full Strength Peroxide is never a good idea :] unless you want to bleach out your hair! I am so sorry that this is such a bugger for you 2. hugs

Well, sleeping on my stomach would certainly drive me nuts and I know that it could be a major source of irritation of the peg tube. It would also keep the air from circulating around the site and not allowing it to dry out like it should. I've always been a side sleeper or back sleeper (can't do on my back anymore cause my throat closes up) but never a front sleeper so I guess I am just lucky that I don't have to change old habits.

Unless I am sleeping on my back , I am sleeping on my tummy :lol:

I am also having trouble with redness around the tube... I wash everyday and clean with a qtip... i have been using Hyd peroxide once a day.. So i will not do that anymore. I read that somewhere to use it. I will get some saline tomorrow... It has been over a week now so I am getting concerned. I will call the Dr. on Monday I think? L

Make your own saline. We do our own by using distilled water and salt - 1 teaspoon to 1 quart of water.

We actually have a RO unit (Reverse Osmosis) in the kitchen and also use the water in the humidifier for my vent. Also necessary for Bipap. This saves having to buy purified water.

Thanks Joel, i will do that..L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back