Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
ca
City
Orange
Hi all, hope everyone is having a nice holiday season. My wonderful Daddy who is 75 and was diagnosed in October (he has bulbar onset) is now starting to experience lots of pain in his hands...says it starts off in his neck/spine area and goes to his hands and looks like he is starting to get more pain in other areas. He has some dementia also so its hard for him to articulate what he is feeling. My mom and I feel so bad that he is in pain...we feel helpless. Is this something normal that starts happening? Thanks in advance for your help.

are they twitching or cramping , I would call doctor maybe he will give him something for pain or , you can try ibuprofen for now hate when pals are in pain

I get pain. Maybe your dad is having spasms? Or, if his shoulder muscles are weak, he may have inadvertently pulled some ligaments - I've done that, and the pain does radiate down to my fingertips. It throbs like the dickens! Ad vil works a bit but my heating pad helps me more at times.

Thank you so much! You guys are so helpful and wonderful! God bless you all! THANK YOU FOR BEING THERE FOR ME!

My husband has pain in his hands. The tendons in the palms in his hands are protruding due to muscle loss. Very painful! He is taking Lortab for pain. The doctor suggested putting raw rice in tube socks and putting them in the microwave for a couple of minutes. I rub some Aspercream on his palms before I put the socks on. They conform to his palms and bring some relief. I hate that he is pain more than anything.

are his arms week and hanging down at the sides. The pulling of the shoulder to the arm, puts pain in the main nerves in the lower neck and radiates down into the arms and hands. If that is the case, try to prop a pillow under each of his elbows to take the strain off of the arms hanging down.

Thank you! I told my mom about the sock/rice idea. Brilliant! THANK YOU!

I don't see that his arms are hanging down to the sides, but I have not looked that closely. I will deftinately have my mom see it that is happening.
THANK YOU!

I remember what we did that worked also. The doctor put cortisone shots right in his shoulder and it helped the pain for several months

Doing range of motion and stretching helps my husband a lot. I hold his hand and fingers straight for at least 30 secs, and alternate with a massage. I flex his feet up hold for 30 secs, and massage. He wears splints on his feet to keep them flexed or else he has terrible pain. When he is in bed, he has pillows under each arm right up to under his arm pits, and I straighten out his hands. I have to straighten his hands sometimes in the night, and if this worsens I will get splints for them.
Paulette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back