Military service and ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but they also note that the difference may be due to the longer study period for WWII.

For Nam certainly. The Korean vets must be 80 plus by now? But I think the exposures in the later wars are going to turn out to cause even more horrors than we know now.

my offical cause on paper is als due to agent O chally

What paper Chally? I will check on Steve's. He was in the Middle East but not at war time.

For Nam certainly. The Korean vets must be 80 plus by now? But I think the exposures in the later wars are going to turn out to cause even more horrors than we know now.

I agree Nikki - TBI's are a big injury for our post 9/11 veterans, there is already an increase in MS and Parkinson's in this generation of vets. Then there are the vaccines - wow!, every time they deploy they get another round whether they have had them or not. My son has deployed 5 times, he has had so many of the same vaccines it's ridiculous.

The DoD and VA should be pumping millions into research for ALS.

hey gooseberry, disability compensation chally oh yea mary thank your son for me he has giving alot!

No cause listed Chally it just says service connected..weird

i always thought it was weird that they actually put agent O in writting. go figure? chally

Ok so my brain only gets half of it, there is definitely a link...but what?
Is there (as Mary mentions) a vaccine that has been given through out each period?
Surely the government is looking into WHY...
This is tragic.
Good men and women willing to defend a country they are proud of...
I hate this disease.
God bless, Janelle x

Thanks Nikki.
Trying to find a cure and finding out more about what causes it.
They certainly have their hands full, but I'm glad there's funding for both.
God bless, Janelle x

I deleted my earlier response because I found some more detailed information. It looks like WWII vets got tetanus and small pox across the board. I would think civilians got those too. Older people used to have small pox vaccine marks.
Other vaccines were given on an as needed basis depending on where you were being deployed, for example the tropics. It did not look like the European theater got much if anything else. I hope someone has looked a little at deployment in this group ( the paper did not).
The DOD does fund both military and civilian research ( it is never enough of course but they have not ignored the need)

The service connection is clear from the statistics, but the cause is enigmatic because military people are exposed to all manner of weird stuff, injected with so many things, and frankly, when they transport dangerous stuff right past your window, they're not going to tell you about it. Any investigation would be secret, and it may be decided at higher levels that keeping secrets is worth a few thousand cases of ALS.

When I worked at VA, I was amazed when I learned about the many ways tens of thousands of GI's are routinely and deliberately exposed to radioactive, chemical, and biological agents in secret experiments. I'm not saying that the military deliberately caused ALS, but I am saying we will probably never know the truth in our lifetimes.

If you want to be scared and appalled, just google "secret military medical research."

For most of us, though, I think it would be better simply to enjoy our days on Earth, and vote for no more war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back