Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
TN
City
Jackson
My mom was diagnosed with PBP back in Feb 2010. She cannot hardly eat anything by mouth nor can she communicate by speech. She has had quite a bit of neck pain and face pain. Her arms and legs have mostly been okay except she has had some stiffness in her feet. However, today she had several spells that happened when she was standing up. She was at home by herself when these happened and it really scared her. She said she was walking and all of a sudden from the waist down she got where she could not move. She said it felt paralyzing. Luckily she did not fall down, and she said they lasted around five minutes or so. These spells did make her feel weak.

When things like this happen you just wonder if this is part of the disease or could there be something else going on. Has anyone out there ever heard of anything like this? Can you start having trouble with your legs and your arms are still ok?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi there,
Seems to me that each persons symptoms vary a bit but if it helps any my mum was diagnosed with MND (bulbar onset) in November 09. Her first symptom was a slurring of the speech followed by a feeling of having something in her throat. This progressed until, like your mum she could no longer speak and can swallow very little.

As this was happening she began to have some falls. At first I put this down to dehydration since I couldn't get much liquid into her (this was before she got her peg) but of course it was the start of a weakening in her legs. I can't answer your question about a feeling of paralysis but I can say that for my mum her legs weakened before her arms. Both are now affected but at an earlier stage it appeared to be just her legs.

Mind yourself
Avril

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back