Biting insides of cheeks when eating - any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sesl

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
Aus
State
NSW
City
Sydney
My mother is still able to eat, although her range of foods she can eat is getting more limited (she had her peg inserted 2 days ago). Her biggest problem is that she keeps biting the insides of her cheeks, and they are a pretty raw mess right now.

Apart from some pretty awful pastes you can apply to the sore area (which I've used before for mouth ulcers and found to be fairly useless and hard to apply) does anyone know of something she can use to help with this?

It's hard enough to eat without having to worry about orange juice burning the raw spots inside her mouth, or not being able to eat spices or other tasty foods because they hurt!

sesl

I use KANKA softbrush gel it work to numb and heal the inside of the mouth quikley.

Sounds like what you are talking about is different than the typical canker sore... so the below may not help much/at all. But just in case...

For canker sores I've use a medication called Debacterol. You can google it to get more info from the manufacturer web site. This stuff has really worked great for me in the past. But... this stuff REALLY hurts when you first put it on... I mean like causing tears! But it goes away after 5 mins or so. For me that was a good tradeoff.
I would not use this for anything but canker sores though!

Your dentist / doc would have to get it for you, and it might be pretty expensive too.

Brian

Hi Sesl...

Actually, I was reminded by my dentist of another product called Rincinol. It's available over the counter/online. Looks to be about $10 on the Walgreens site.

I've got a couple professional samples now too, so PM me with your address and I can mail to you if needed. Might be easier to check locally there first, but just drop me a line if you want me to send your way.

Brian

I have the same problem. The sores are from biting my cheek when I wake up in the morning, I yawn, them my jaw clenches shut , sometimes on my cheek , sometimes on my tongue. Sometimes drawing blood.

Wish I had an answer also.

Glen

Have the same problem. Bite the heck out of cheek's, tongue, lips. Like you guys said, once you have a sore, well then you bight down on that sore a ton of times, so the problem just keeps a comin. Will try some of the things mentioned here.

I think wearing the Bipap is a problem for bitting my lips . i use ambasol? not sure of spelling. It stops the pain ,just need to keep applying it. I also find tilting my head in the direction of the lip or cheek that is sore helps when eating or I just keep biting it... . The muscles are giving out and so I think the skin falls between my back teeth. So very fun.... isn't it?/ Everything is falling down these days....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back