Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
The true number of those who have a confirmed diagnosis of PLS is in their diagnostic code.
That code (in this country) determines benefit eligibility.

PS Had to start a new Thread to reply. There's a tech glitch.

Hi All!

I just wanted to chime in as another PLS'er. I self diagnosed in 2008; my doctor, after every possible alternative was exhausted, came aboard in late 2013.

Happy holidays! Cheers!

The ICD-9 diagnostic code for PLS is 335.24. The ICD-10 (diagnosed after 9/2015) code is G12.29. I have 335.24.

Many wish to hold onto the old statistics (many current statistics seemingly have the same numbers published back in 2002 or 2005) but an unexplainable number of veterans being diagnosed with PLS seem to be unaccounted for in current statistics.

PS. If I may add this... Neurologists are not required to report MNDs to such as the CDC. And... generally, PLS is a later in life MND (older folks). Also, not everyone who has a diagnosis joins a Forum so any indication would be lacking here. Many older folks now are not computer savvy. I believe, my opinion, the true numbers are really unknown and anything currently published is a vague guesstimate. Years ago Alzheimers was considered somewhat rare... not anymore. I'd bet all of this would also apply to ALS.

Finally, (I rarely ramble on anymore) having a diagnostic code making one eligible for "benefits"... I find nothing beneficial about this diagnosis. That word "benefits" has never set in my craw... it should be "assistance". As it would overwhelmingly be more fitting to those with ALS.

good to see you al :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back