01/2014
Country
US
State
NY
City
Cny
Hi all,

For the past two years I wake each morning barely able to use my fingers, especially my thumbs. For example, I can hardly press a button on my iPod, turn on my bedside light, or press my thumb to my fingers (pincer grasp I think). This also happens after a nap, to a lesser degree. However, as soon as I've been up for five minutes, my thumb and finger strength has returned for the most part, although my left hand has lost a lot of dexterity. Both my emgs were normal too. Anyone have this going on?

Kathy

Hi Kathy, it could be carpal tunnel, I get a similar thing happen, try some regular hand stretches I have found that helps if it is carpal tunnel. There are some stretching exercises on you tube you can watch.
Love Gem

Hi Kathy,
I have similar problems, especially with my thumbs. From what I understand, mine is from the spasticity, not weakness, although it feels like weakness. Before I started taking Baclofen, my thumbs would actually draw inward towards my palms, and it was very difficult to do anything with my hands. I still experience it occasionally, even on the Baclofen, but it is better.

Trippy, what were you doing prior to this?
If I use my hands/thumbs etc too much even day/night before it can make them weak.
Writing or using the computer for a bit can cause spasticity and weakness.
My hands/fine motor movement is always an on going challenge and can be very frustrating.

I get the numbness and weakness in both arms and hands when waking. It was expained to me as a nerves being pinched in the front collarbone area. This is caused from weakened muscles in my shoulders and chest and when I lay down on my back, the shoulders will sink back fully and pinch off nerves to my arms. I have found if I sleep with pillows under my shoulders and arms, it doesn't happen. Its difficult to stay with pillows like that during the night, especially when I am used to sleeping on my left side.

You could use a triangle pillow,i use one as my shoulders can get painful in bed.
The two ends can go under each shoulder or you can still lay on your side with it....its good as it not as bulky as having two pillows either side.
It helps also with my neck which also gets painful because my head tends to drop forward even laying down...having said that I do sleep a bit elevated as its easier to breathe.

I'm having the same problem as AKmom. I've been waking up most mornings with both arms completely asleep/numb from the tops of my shoulders down to the tips of my fingers. I sleep only on my back and haven't been able to quite figure out what is causing it. My current theory is that I get so rigid from the spasticity that I end up in exactly the same position for hours without moving. I can't quite tell what I'm cutting off the circulation to. I had the exact same thing happen while sleeping upright on a plane the other day, so I'm not sure it's the position that matters. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back