12/2010
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
SW
Hi to all,

Recognizing that I ask a lot of crazy questions here (and have my share of marginal ideas....;)), I thought I'd ask the following:

Many of us develop hip, back, neck, shoulder, arm, and hand pain. We don't think of it this way, but over time, PLS has its way of adversely impacting most -- if not all --of a person's body (personally, with exception of thoracic pain, I have all of these -- and most of the time, too).

The Medscape website says the following concerning involvement of other areas (from:
Medscape: Medscape Access

"Axial muscle involvement may result in lower back and neck pain, which may aggravate back or neck pain from other causes (eg, degenerative disc disease, osteoporosis)."

My question is: This suggests that once axial (trunk and spinal) muscles become involved, back and neck pain result. Why does this happen?

My only guess is that the axial muscles must overcompensate for what the legs can no longer do, and they become overworked, resulting in pain/ chronic pain (in my case, from spasm pretty much all over).

What is your interpretation of the above? And your experience - if you don't mind my asking? Thanks!

Mike

To clarify my question above, do you believe that spasm, pain, and/or weakness in the axial (spinal/trunk) muscles occurs as a natural progression of PLS? Or is it instead that these are secondary to what are "primary" PLS symptoms (leg weakness, spasticity)?

Are the axial muscles overcompensating for what the legs can no longer do (and even in cases in which there is arm involvement, for what the arms cannot do)?

Do most of you have pain or spasticity -- in areas other than in the legs -- when you did not previously have such symptoms? And that is more likely than not related to PLS, and not to some other condition?

Hope that makes more sense.....

My spasticity started in the legs and now over the years has spread all over my body. I have found if a muscle group is acting up pain in that area will follow. I make adjustments to compensate which will then leads to other issues. It is all a cycle. Rest and sleep are the only ways I finds to break the cycle, that and the ole friend Baclofen.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

....I really do hate PLS......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back