Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Woodinville
This morning as I was getting ready for work, I noticed my left leg (my bad leg) felt as if it was wet by the outer part of my knee... and as the morning went on I felt it come and go. It was like a cold and wet sensation. Now tonight it is the same and is in different places (lower leg). This is something new. Has anyone experienced this?

I had my 3 month check up last week and had good results. Progressing slowly and my nurse (at this point) does not think this is heading towards ALS. That was great news. I need to do more stretching exercises to keep my hips strong. I now have a cane and will use it when I feel the need to. I can tell it will take some getting used to. I also will be getting a disabled parking permit. This will be a big help as I'm tired of driving around and around to wait for a close parking spot to my destinations.

LouLou

Good on you for getting the parking permit. I hope it helps heaps.
Not sure why you have the wet feelings, as far as I know it's not part of pls, but it could well be not connected. Maybe you have a nerve pinching? If it keeps occurring or get worse, you should check it out with your doctor.

As for using and getting used to a cane, use the hand opposite your bad leg to hold the cane. I didn't know this when I first started using mine and thought I was supposed to use the cane on the same side with which I had a problem. That was very awkward feeling.

Early on my PT at Clinic was concerned about my using a cane. She said it just would not provide enough stability when I lost my balance.

Another problem with a cane is, it's very tiring to use. Your arm gets pooped.

actually a quite few years ago i had wet sensations on my feet. It felt like I was standing in cold icewater yet my feet were warm and dry to touch. It also happened a couple times on one of my hands. I mentioned it to my doc and he noted it on my file, but nothing ever came of it and I do not have the sensation anymore. I had them off an on for about 6 months. Never knew what they were from. However, my feet started to deform slightly after the sensations stopped and started cramping severely. Its also during that time they diagnosed the drop foot on both feet and AFO's were perscribed.

Good for you to get your parking permit. Problem I find here in Alaska is that there is never enough handicap parking spaces available at the stores if I go during the late morning to evening time frame. I have to go either first thing in the morning (which also gets me the riding shopping carts to myself too) or don't go at all! (send someone else to do the shopping).

I used canes for a couple years but ended up using forearm crutches. Either way they all make my arms and shoulders hurt like the dickens and I still cannot go very far. I have been using my pw chair more and more, even in the house. :(

Well the cold/wet sensations have subsided. I had sent a note to my nurse about it and she asked my doctor about it. It could just be overworked muscles, not a circulation problem. He said to just make note of it when it happens. Maybe it is not even related to PLS, who knows?

I used my cane for the first time out in public on Friday last week. I used it at work for walking longer distances. Unfortunately, the day before that I had another fall. I stepped sideways from my boss's desk and fell to the floor. I fell on my hand and slightly twisted my foot, but I'm okay. Emotionally though, I had a hard time recovering from it. Just after having a good check up the week before, the fall happened and reaffirmed that this disease is so unpredictable. I have such caring co-workers and so much support at work. I felt safer using the cane, and of course had lots of questions from people throughout the day. I read in a post on here about using a cane, "I hate it and I love it".... so true.

I've seen several posts on here also about falling and people describing it as happening in slow motion. That is exactly how it is. It's like. "I'm going to fall - how can I recover," then before you know it you're in a pile on the floor. I have another checkup with my PT in a few weeks, so we'll talk again about the falls. They did not seem to think I need any type of brace. I really have started to think about my steps before I move. It's hard to train yourself, but hopefully it will prevent me from more falls.

I have started to have weekly leg massages after work and it has been delightful! One hour of rubbing out the tight muscles with lavender oil is great after a long day. This is my treat to myself.

Blessings to all of you.
LouLou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back