Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
US
State
FL
City
Lake Worth
3 days ago I had my first peg tube inserted. The pain and discomfort is still substantial. Especially when I cough, which is frequently.

Also, I have become much weaker throughout my body. Have reduced rang of motion, due to the pain of the tube, and have been having severe muscle spasms, especially in the groin area.

Also, I was eating by mouth fairly well, but now, not so much. Everything seems more difficult.

Question: how long does it usually take to become acclimated to the tube ? Are there any long term drawbacks ?

Sorry you are having a tough time. I think it is normal to have fairly significant pain for 1-2 weeks. My impression is PALS have more postop discomfort with this than others. My sister had a nasty first 10 days but then the only issue she had was getting a tube feeding regime she could tolerate (she had left it far too late and was in starvation mode) once that was solved she did well and only regretted waiting so long

Hope you feel better soon

little tip:
if you keep the stoma dressed with gauze and tape all the way around, it will help lessen the pain of ripping that fresh wound when you cough.
it gets better, promise.

Bob they treated my Chris like a whimp when he still had pain 2 days after his peg, let alone 3. I kept thinking, yeah like I guess they only punched a hole right through this stomach ...

While some people really have very little pain after 24 hours, it's normal to have high levels of pain in the first week.

Accept pain meds so you can breath well and cough as chest infections are a very real complication to be sure to avoid.

A peg requires and endoscope to be placed down your throat, so often eating and speech are harder in that first week but you will heal up most likely.

Most things should be completely back to a base point a week if not 2 after :)

Hug pillow against the site when you move or cough. Take advantage of the pain pills but remember that the good ones cause constipation. If you haven't had a bowel movement yet, take a laxative tonight. Do that every two or three days until you are doing okay with just tylenol or going on your own.

Cant add much to previkus posters but ive had my peg just over 2 weeks. The worst of the pain is over but coughing still hurts and those occasional muscle spasms in my abdomen really crank up the pain still.
Havent tried food yet but i can tell i got the peg just in time. I seem to choke on everything and i didnt 3 weeks ago.

Quick recovery to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back