Diagnosis
12/2008
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Marion
I know this is a sensative subject but i was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I have used everything and it seems like i do not have the muscle power to push my stoolout no mater that it is soft. Believe me i am so misserable. No success in several weeks. Please help me. Water, fiber, suppositories, enamas, magnesium citratate all tried.

Thank you,
god bless you all:(

The only thing that works for me is Milk of Magnesia. I take it every other day and it works. Yes, this is a real problem once your muscles atrophy and you can't push, couple that with inactivity and the problem increases. I hope you can find a solution soon!

Angel, if you have not had a BM in a couple weeks, this could be a medical emergency. Call your doctor, please. You could be impacted, where a blockage has occurred. This happened to my husband and was discovered during a recent hospitalization, and required the nurse to remove the blockage, a long, painful and tedious procedure.

Don't let this go on. I'm sure you are miserable with it. Please contact your PCP.

I second the vote for Milk of Magnesia.

Have you tried Miralax? Pretty safe and works well.

Milk of magnesia is the only way to go, I agree with Bethu U it could be an emergency, my cousin who was perfecly healthy had a blockage at 58 and passed away within 48hours in the hospital. Don't fool around, it is extremealy painful also.

I agree, get this situation sorted out by a professional. Are you still eating/ drinking or are you using a peg? The methods of feeding thru a peg seem to be a bit different in the UK to the USA. With my feed routine (a litre bag of Nutricia) you can speed up the rate the feed goes in. The faster it goes in, the more your stool softens. I have the same problem as you and have had to experiment with the flow rate to get things just right. If you dont have this option, try increasing fruit or fruit juice, oranges, figs or try liquorice. Hope you find a solution soon.

Please have a doctor check you out immediately. It sounds like you are impacted. You will be so relieved once they take care of that initial blockage. Then all the stuff you have tried to use will just empty you out.

Andy was on a bowel program that worked. The main thing: 1/2 cup prune juice, warmed up, mixed with 4 tablespoons of milk of magnesia. He had it every other night before bed. Works like a charm. Warming the prune juice seems to be the trick. He was also on a daily stool softener (twice a day) AND Senna, once a day, which is a liquid. Andy was a big guy so I would check with a health professional for dosages. He had lost all pushing power, and we used a sling and his lift to hover him over the toilet. It was the prune juice cocktail that kept him regular. Also, our radar went up for anything that would be potentially binding, like tylenol with codiene and other strong pain meds. These he would avoid. We used all this when he was still on regular food. At the end, when we were trying formula, we were having to readjust to compensate for whatever was in that stuff. You know, he thought the walking thing was going to be the big bummer in this disease. He quickly realized it was the pooping thing. Never did he ever imagine the troubles from that end. Hope my rambling helps someone out there. Blessings, Pam

When the Pooping stops?

Pam, I am so proud of you for continuing to help us. Your information in invaluable. You just answered one of my questions. I was wondering why I could no longer push to poop. I have not gone in 3 days now and I usually go everyday. I use a Benefiber product every day for soften, but will add the milk of magnesia today.
Something has to give soon. I look like a balloon and feel like one too.

I'm sure it will all work out in the end. :shock: (pun intended)

Also, everybody ... DON'T take Milk of Magnesia if you have kidney problems. Also, Fleet enemas are contraindicated with kidney weakness or blockage.

Over-the-counter laxatives sound harmless, but read the small print. Best to check with your doctor first.

Sorry, I did forget about the enema part. Hospice had us use a mineral oil fleet-like enema (warmed under the faucet first) to stimulate and soften if nothing was moving. We would actually "reload" it a few times with regular warm tap water. I did this right over the toilet, as opposed to on the bed and then trying to make it over to the bathroom in time! It could get quite...explosive...but oh so worth it. Then we started rating them...on a 1-5 scale, and this would gauge what kind of day he would have! hee hee...I do laugh about all the crappy jokes we made...he had such a great attitude.

Best of luck Capt Al. I feel compelled to keep posting, only because Andy and I grew into a lot of this together. He took such a long time to wear down. Others don't have the luxury of time and need immediate help: They don't have the time to think things through and try different options like we could, until we found the right solution for him. I must take some pics of his custom chair. He truly would think so creatively, really out of the box, so to speak. Perhaps someone might be inspired to modify their own chair as he had.

Blessings! I'm signing off and going to bed. I can't wait to go to church tomorrow! I've missed it so much.

Pam..I can totally relate to having a sense of humor over the crazy situations we find ourselves dealing with. I would never share half of the things that my hubby and I experience dealing with this disease with anyone else that is not going through it..they just would not get it. Wow..that was a run on sentence. Anyways....prune juice through the feeding tube keeps things flowing at our house! Thinking of you Pam!

Anyways....prune juice through the feeding tube keeps things flowing at our house! Thinking of you Pam!

Hey Pam , have fun tomorrow ;) You little shit-disturber you !

:razz::razz::razz:

I think this is turning into a crappy thread. :-D
BTW the Milk of Magnesia works and works and works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back