Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
IA
City
MIDWEST USA
How do you determine PEG or ventilator support will benefit the patient? I guess I am asking how do you know when enough is enough? :?:

These are very personal decisions that should only be made by the patient (with informed advice from his medical team and caregivers), but I can't think of a situation where a PEG would not benefit the patient. It makes a huge difference in quality of life.

Speaking from experience, trying to take food or liquids in when your throat is determined not to let it go to your stomach is hell on wheels. The choking is exhausting, miserable, panicky ... add any nasty adjective you like. I am sure it extends life... in my case, it certainly has, but the big difference for me is keeping me strong, well-nourished and as comfortable as possible without stress. What a relief to have that problem solved.

As to the vent, this is even more personal, but I have read many trustworthy statements on this forum and elsewhere about the relief and improvement in comfort it can provide. Anyone considering either one should do their homework, but only the patient can say when enough is enough.

I don't think getting a vent is a more personal decision at all. I do agree the medical profession plays it down, but they do it out of ignorance. Everything that Beth said about the PEG holds equally true for a trache and vent.

Without the peg I would have died already , either from starvation and deydration , or aspiration infection . I was very unwell before the peg , and now have a new lease of life . While I'm getting other symptoms , at least my body is more able to withstand them .
The trachi isn't routinely offered for ALS/MND patients over here , it's mostly assumed you will die of a major build up of co2 that will make you fall asleep and not wake up . So I can't comment other than to say it's a joint decision between patient , doc , and next of kin . Sometimes the trachi is put in due to an emergency here rather than choice . I haven't really looked into it for myself .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back