Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Seattle
Well, after a week of stuttering and slurred speech, I made an appointment to see my doctor. I have a lot to tell her and I am wondring what you might think her first reactions will be and what course of actions I can expect.

For those unfamiliar with me. I am a 22 year old male. Two months ago I began having twitching all over. No big deal at first. Then, this past week my togue begins to feel off, and now I am stuttering and slurring my words. As far as I can tell, my tongue is not weak, but I am still slurring. My co-workers tell me they have not heard slurring, but I have become quiet and hate to talk now.

Here goes nothing...

You can convince yourself that you THINK you are slurring. See the Doc. Relax in the mean time.

AL.

I am a hypochondriac, so I know a thing or two about stressing.

I've never heard of ALS causing stuttering.

I've never heard of ALS causing stuttering.

That's where I am confused. Sometimes it feels like I am slurring and other times I am stuttering to find the right word to say.

I was at my barber today and started a conversation. We talked for about 15 minutes and I did not slur or stutter once. Is this possible to do this if I had bulbar onset?

Today was quite interesting...

My doctor called today and informed me that I needed to go to the emergency room. I had blood tests, cat scan, chest x-ray, and EKG performed. Everything came back negative. Then the doctor said, you need to go see a neurologist.

Great, one more test before I am diagnosed with ALS. I am not feeling to well right now.

Why would your doctor call and have you go to ER? Had you called with a concern and his/her response was to call back and encourage you to go to ER if you were so worried?

I called originally for something else... a mole on my head of all things. I then called today about moving about my appointment. She called back and asked why. I then informed her that I was slurring very badly. She then said go straight to the ER which I did.

She thought you were having a stroke which is what you'll get if you keep obsessing about this.

AL.

What is it with hypochondriacs? Are they really so self-absorbed that they think nothing of imposing themselves and their neuroses on seriously ill people and their over-burdened caregivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back