Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
OR
City
Albany
HI Gang,

Would anyone be willing to weigh in on a tracheostomy solely for the purpose of being able to suction secretion and phlegm, this is a huge issue for my mom and makes life very difficult. Anyone out there done this procedure for this purpose?

Blessings to you all.
Love,
Holly

Trach without vent

Hi.
I'm new to all this myself, but similar surgery has been recommended for my husband. What they want to do for him is called laryngotracheal separation. He would have the opening in his neck (stoma) but without a plastic tube or fitting. The purpose is not for use of a ventilator, but to completely separate his food/swallowing tube from his airway. They say this procedure would eliminate the risk of aspiration pneumonia, and would not require much suctioning since saliva wouldn't be leaking down and there would be no plastic tube inserted into the trachea that would irritate the mucosa resulting in increased secretions. Don't know if this is what they are talking about for your mom. If it's a traditional trach with tube and all, you might want to ask about this other procedure, the laryngotracheal separation. My husband has not yet decided whether he will have the surgery or not. He chokes frequently, does not eat away from home due to choke risk , and uses a cough assist machine frequently to clear airway obstructions. His concerns with this uncommon surgery are the blow to his body image with an open stoma, and loss of his sense of smell (nose no longer connected to airway so can't breath in through nose for smell), loss of any potential for vocal sounds (he can't talk, but can currently make grunting sounds to get my attention (which he would lose if he has the surgery). Don't know if this helps at all with your situation, but information is generally a good thing I think.
Good Luck,

Thanks so much newbie.

I am so sorry to hear about your husband, it never gets easy to hear another PALS story. I just hate this disease. I will share your info with my mom.

Thanks Again:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back