Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lancaster
I did a search on bladder control here on the site and on the web and was not able to find an answere to my question. I know from the web that "they" say that bladder control is not directly effected by ALS. But "they" also say that pain is not a direct result of ALS. So her is the question;

I have noticed that it is much harder to hold in having to urinate. It comes on quickly and can be hard not to let a little escape. Is this a result of some of the voluntary muscles (keigles?? or others) that we use to hold in our urination failing?

Do others experience this?

Pete, Steve has the same issue and at first thought it was muscle control issues. It is actually a prostate issue with him. You might want to ask your doctor.

Spastic bladder. Got it.

Oxybutinin Chloride helps.

Pete,

I seem to be having the problem you are describing. Last visit to the neurologist he said it wasn't ALS and recommended I have my prostate checked. Prostate checked out ok.

Bill

Same issue for me, although my diagnosis is PLS so spasticity is my main symptom. I am taking Toviaz (fesoterodine fumerate). It definitely helps but doesn't eliminate the problem.

Steve had this problem. He would leak all the time. Not that you want to but condom catheters may help if you are out and about.

I was having similar issues, no pun intended. I went to a urologist, got a scrip for myrbetric. No more peeing in sinks in crowded washrooms.
Vincent

Spastic bladder. Got it.

Oxybutinin Chloride helps.

I am on the max dosage of Oxybutynin and I don't think it solves the issue. I have heard that Botox injections in your nether region can work. My clinic doc thinks it is a secondary symptom of MND, she sees it so often.

If I have anything to do (appointments or whatever) I just don't drink anything prior to leaving the house. Coffee is the worst and I only drink it when I know I am not going anywhere.

I guess you could say......the only time I don't have to pee is when I am peeing!:shock:

Well another "ALS promise" down the toilet (no pain, no loss of bladder control). I guess its good to know I have company :).

I hate to add on here but bowel control goes the same path...or at least it did for Steve.

Pete, we have one daughter who will do anything dad needs, so problem. The other wants nothing to do with anything "biological". Hmmmm. The devil in me is still not sure how long I'm going to be able to respect that WISH....

After all, turn about is fair play!

Becky

As with everything in this disease there are no predictable paths it follows.

Chris never lost control of either bladder or bowels. But he was rapid progression and was gone very fast. Maybe if his progression had been slower he would only have had more losses to contend with over longer. Rock and hard place...

I i'mb on Vesicare for it and it works great. Added bonus is side effects include dry mouth so it helps with saliva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back