Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
I have been experiencing night time dizziness and coughing (per previous posts), which appears to be happening more frequently as time goes by. I am still attempting to track down the cause. No other physical symptoms at the time of dizziness- my heart doesn't race- so not panic attack, heart issues or low CO2(doctor said heart would race if breathing was an issue). It is not affected by sleeping on an incline or with changing position.

Maybe the drugs? I take 4mg Tizanidine, 50mg diphenhydramine and sometimes 5mg baclofen when the spasticity is really bad. Has anyone else experienced the same? This is my next thing to alter or remove to see if it helps- though I'd really hate to remove spasticity relief if I don't have to.

I do not have a sleep study till the end of March- and with my luck, I'll have the best sleep ever that night.

I know it's kind of a small complaint, but it's seriously affecting my sleep, and as a result, my ability to think coherently during the day.

~Fiona

BACLOFEN and Tizanidine both made me dizzy. I tried them both and my balance went from sh!tty, to falling down dizzy on both. They made my muscles feel rubbery.

If you absolutely need them, night is the best time to take them. I personally would rather have the crampy muscles, than debilitate my mobility more. I suppose my future will have a muscle relaxant in it, but I will wait until I am in a chair to start them if possible.

Was the diphenhydramine added last? That gang of 3 could certainly cause dizziness, esp. together. The diphenhydramine is more a sedative than an antispasmodic so that would be the first thing I'd try living w/o if you haven't already.

Laurie- This cocktail has been used for over 5 months now.

The baclofen was actually the last added drug (actually, re-added)- I was experiencing the dizziness before I added it.

I stopped taking diphenhydramine a month ago for a week to try something else for sleep, and my spasticity actually increased- both during the night, and the following day, as well, the night time dizziness continued. Unexpected, weird, and notable, so it was added back in. My doctor has no idea why this is so.

Unfortunately, from your very helpful responses, I am gathering it's probably be the drugs. Aside from Baclofen and Tizanidine, I'm not sure what my options may be. Spasticity at night equals charlie horses, sore joints and fatigue x10 the following day. I may have to make a choice.

Thank you

So by that account, we are tempted to blame tizanidine. Why not stop that and up the baclofen?
Do you use caffeine?

Laurie-
I have a single, much cherished coffee in the morning. I eat no chocolate, nor drink any cola.

I found that if I increased Baclofen anywhere past 5mg-10mg it started to affect my breathing and I was getting water from my throat up into my nose/sinuses when I drank. My day time spasticity also increased for some reason. As soon as I stopped taking it, or only took 5mg, it was ok. I'm very contrary. Or difficult, actually. That's me.

Hi Fiona,

I take 4mg Tizanidine, 20mg Baclofen & 50mg Riluzole at bedtime. If I had to get up about 30 mins later, I'd feel weak & dizzy, almost like low BP. I rarely have to get up, so it isn't an issue as I don't have symptoms lying down.

I couldn't do without either med as I'd be as rigid as a steel post without them.

I don't have a cough.

Hope you figure it out,
Ells.

Thanks, Ells. I'm with you, re: steel post. But am going to take a few days off to see if that's the reason for the dizziness and coughing. I don't know what I'll do if it's the reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back