Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
yesterday we found a huge pressure sore from the nose bipap mask I was using so we switched to a nasal pillow mak. Guess what 12 hrs later another sore was forming from that mask. I had used both for months without a problem. What do I do now. I can't breathe without them but I can't use them.
the medical company we were using suggested a cloth mask and we picked it up today, but I couldn't breathe with it. Turned out it was a clap mask not bipap. I'm at my wits end

Hi there. My dad just had a big problem with this to the point he would have needed a skin graft. We got him a mask called the Amara View that doesn't cover the nose. In just a few days the sore is so much better and finally healing.

The nasal masks take a lot of pressure to keep them from leaking, at least from my 10 years of Cpap, and now about a year of BiPap experience.
Have you tried a full face mask? I have heard you can keep them sealed well without the tightness of a nasal mask. Most of the Cpap sellers have a silicone bandage you can place in areas that tend to break down...I have used them on occasion when I developed a sore on the bridge of my nose. These are about the size of a standard band aid and about 1/8 of an inch thick.
I would try some full face masks, they may be the ticket. Hope this helps.....

You won't believe this but I tried a silicone pad. Worked for about 2 weeks, then guess what, I became allergic to it and developed a sore where the silicone was " protecting" me. I never used to react to anything till I got this damn disease

There are several threads here about mask liners, putting a bandaid/paper tape on your nasal bridge, etc.

Neil, which mask did you try? There are no CPAP-only masks that I know of.

A FF mask can be helpful if someone can't talk or is asleep, but when not, besides the Circadiance mask I tout, there are a couple of new "traditional but not quite" nasal masks out that people might want to try: the Dreamwear and Pico. cpap.com carries most and has free return privileges on some.

Turned out it was a clap mask not bipap. I'm at my wits end

Is there a difference between a cpap mask and a bipap mask? I've gone through half a dozen masks trying to find a comfortable one. Nasal pillows make my septum sore. And nasal masks make the bridge of my nose sore. Trying the dreamwear by respronics under the nose style for a couple of days. Seems to be working for me, so far.
Marty

(BigMark! Welcome back!)

Marty, no, there's not different masks for CPAP vs. BiPAP. But some mask types do better under high pressure and/or pressure changes than others.

I'm glad the Dreamwear is working for you so far.

I have been using a garnier face wash on steve. It seems to help keep his skin in better condition and less irritated. We then use the dove sensitive skin after shave lotion. It is a thin liquid and soaks in very quickly. It has really reduced the irritated spots on his face and made the mask more comfortable for him.

I've used the Amara View Mask -- its the most comfortable mask I've ever used, but it leaks too much for me. I even tried it with a liner but with no success. I have a lot of problems with masks leaking because of some deep lines at the corners of my mouth. The gel/silicone pads really do help, although I still get a sore nose on occasion. I use a Respironics Full Life Mask -- its the one that works the best for me, but naturally I'm allergic to the "plastic" so I use a liner (Rem-Zzzs) which does the trick. Try the Amara View -- its really comfortable
Dianne

Steph makes a good point that the skin matters. I will add that the mask lining or other contact point, if/as applicable, matters too. Some RTs and all the mfrs recommend zealous cleaning so your mask will erode on schedule and they get another sale. A CPAP wipe or other mild, gentle cleaning may best maintain the integrity of the material and thus the slope of the seal.

Hi all,
I use a Respironics Wisp mask. My husband cleans mine every few days. I find that after a month or so it starts to irritate my nose. I order a new one and I'm "good to go"

Here's a link:
Respironics WISP Nasal Mask and Headgear I order from the company I got my c-pap from.

It has been working for a year for me. The lady where I order them said the soft plastic on the nose piece breaks down from oils on your skin. If you were using the mask with success for any amount of time - that may be the case or maybe the strap it too tight. I know I had a heck of a time getting the pressure on the nose piece just right.

It's worth a try

Lynne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back