Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Austin
Yesterday I met a person with a service dog. We began talking and he told me that he has PSTD and his service dog is used for emotional support. Very comforting for him.

The only requirement is that he be well behaved, groomed and healthy.
For other disabilities they must be trained to do certain tasks. The registry allows either professional training or personal training.

This gave me an idea.

Well, today I registered my Holly as a service dog. She has given me the most emotional comfort I have ever received. She's very well behaved, never leaves my side and makes me feel so good.

The registration allows me to take her ANYWHERE I want. We don't go out much, but the option is there in case I need her. Now she's my little service girl!
Marty

Marty, that is a WONDERFUL idea. I will look into this also- not sure if the guidelines are the same in Canada or not.
I have two golden retrievers. One of whom would be a great candidate- she's instinctively gentle and calm around frail people and those who are unsteady on their feet (read; toddlers, people with canes and walkers, and ME!). She's helped me drag myself up off the floor several times by just holding still while I grab a handful of fur and pull myself up. The other dog is a complete gong show and can't be trusted to go down stairs safely on his own, let alone walk calmly beside someone who has mobility issues.

Marty, that is a WONDERFUL idea. I will look into this also- not sure if the guidelines are the same in Canada or not.
I have two golden retrievers. One of whom would be a great candidate- she's instinctively gentle and calm around frail people and those who are unsteady on their feet (read; toddlers, people with canes and walkers, and ME!). She's helped me drag myself up off the floor several times by just holding still while I grab a handful of fur and pull myself up. The other dog is a complete gong show and can't be trusted to go down stairs safely on his own, let alone walk calmly beside someone who has mobility issues.

LOL...

How can you have two goldens and not post pics? C'mon lets see 'em :)

We have two as well but they're both a mix of what you describe.

DSC_0233.jpg

Marty, CALS are also eligible for comfort pets. You do need a letter from a therapist that you qualify under the Disabilities Act- but honestly, would be hard to deny either a PALS or a CALS after the horrendous journey we've taken with this disease and the after effects for the one remaining. A comfort pet needs no training and can travel free on any airlines. My cat will be flying with me for the first time next week as I journey to Florida, and the healing warmth of the sun and great friends. you can google individual airlines or comfort pets for more info. Airlines do need to be notified ahead and some will require the letter ahead of time. United even checked out the licensing for my therapist - while Southwest just asks to see the letter when you check in. The animal does not have to be caged-can be on your lap or at your feet but I will keep mine in a carrier out of concern for anyone who might be allergic to cats. This year it was SO important to me to have my hubby's lap cat with me as a stress reliever and a connection to him. He loved her so, and now she is my lap cat and purr machine!
My apartment in Florida was also pet free- but was able to get an okay to bring her with this criteria. Glad you are able to enjoy your dog as well, as we all know animals bring such love and joy!

Yes. Canada has the same guidelines as the US. You can Google Service Dog and get all the details. And, it's immediate.
I'm training Holly to pick things up that I drop. Remote control, papers, cane, etc. She's a quick learner and is very sweet.
Brad, Gorgeous!
Marty

2015-10-09 16.21.52.png

2015-10-09 16.20.09.png

I'm a bit of a luddite , hope this works. Daisy is the lady, Theodore it's the goof.
Guess which one is which?

Last edited:
Also, Brad- lovely dogs. How many tennis balls do you go through?

I love Golden retrievers! Had one growing up.

Marty, that's so awesome! Holly is one special little lady. I'm so glad she'll be allowed with you wherever you go.

Love all the dog pics...I've missed them!

SK...daisy and Theodore are gorgeous.

Brad we have a pile of tennis balls we no longer need if the muttleys want them.

We throw a ball for Lucy, she watches it roll away then looks at us as though to say 'well you threw it..'

God bless, Janelle x

My husband has a service dog. She was trained by Patriot Paws out of Rockwall Texas. Their training is approximately two years in length. He has had her for 2 and 1/2 years. Rarely have we had an issue with her out in public in terms of where she can go. On occasion we have had a hostess/host in a restaurant not understand she is permitted just like his wheelchair or walker.

The biggest challenges faced has been people insisting on trying to pet or talk to her. He prefers neither. Her vest says 'no petting' on both sides of it - left, right. It doesn't say no talking but I guess it should. His feeling, and rightfully so, is she is working, not playing when she is out. If he did let everyone interact with her she would likely become accustomed to that is what they do when they go out together instead of working and paying attention to him. More than one person has not appreciated being told not to pet her. More than one person, like many, stop us and tell us about their dog and show us photographs of them on their phones. In the beginning it could take an extra 30 minutes every time we went somewhere because of this behavior. Now, we just ignore them most of the time because it's too time consuming to talk to a bunch of people about their dogs every time you leave the house.

Maddie has been trained to help him get up from a sitting position. She braces for him. She picks up objects that he drops. She can come get me if he falls. She also knows when he is tired and weakness has increased. She noses him to a seat, if he doesn't pay attention to her, she stops listening to his cues of things like 'down' or 'sit', and keeps nosing him until he sits.

Last night we were inside a restaurant with her, and in the outside eating area were two women with dogs. I sat watching the behavior and the scene unfold. The dogs did not have a vest on though that is not a requirement it is a good idea. Those women allowed their dogs to sit on their laps, and they were not mini dogs either. One of the dogs was a real barkaholic. A patron next to them complained to management, and the women were told the dogs couldn't stay. Even if they were service dogs, they are not permitted to be disruptive, and these women seemed so offended as though their civil rights were being intruded upon.

Attachments

• DSC_6142.jpg
    DSC_6142.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC_0363.jpg
    DSC_0363.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 232
I wonder if I could get my rabbit registered...she's my angel.

J x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 253
View attachment 6875

View attachment 6876

I'm a bit of a luddite , hope this works. Daisy is the lady, Theodore it's the goof.
Guess which one is which?

ROFLMAO... Those are just great pics and too funny!

And we go through a TON of tennis balls, stuffed toys, sticks, etc... you name it, they've destroyed it...

Marty, that's so awesome! Holly is one special little lady. I'm so glad she'll be allowed with you wherever you go.

Love all the dog pics...I've missed them!

SK...daisy and Theodore are gorgeous.

Brad we have a pile of tennis balls we no longer need if the muttleys want them.

We throw a ball for Lucy, she watches it roll away then looks at us as though to say 'well you threw it..'

God bless, Janelle x

LOL, Chance does that.

I wonder if I could get my rabbit registered...she's my angel.

J x

I don't see why not, just tell them she's a "long eared Australian kangaroo herder" and a very rare breed of dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back