Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
does anyone know why ALS victims have such bad problems with mucus. I never had this issue before this wonderful disease started.

I don't think the issue is more mucus as much as a decreased ability to get rid of it. With decreased lung capacity and difficulty swallowing, mucus builds up with no place to go. Kind of like wearing rubber gloves, you don't sweat more, but it can't evaporate so it just builds up in the glove.
Vincent

What a nice picture, but thanks for the answer. Maybe they can drill a hole in my head and let it run out that way. Not like I have much more use for it ;)

We produce around 2 litres of saliva a day normally. A lot of PALS feel they have excess saliva but it can be hard to tell because if the most common problem is linked to swallowing that saliva then 2 litres a day that isn't clearing can seem like increased saliva.

I also read that the increase in CO2 (due to decreasing diaphragm function) causes the cilia in the lungs to become paralyzed......much like a smoker's cough, thus not being able to move the natural mucous that lines the lungs. And because PALS can't cough as well (or at all), it builds up. Makes sense. It sure is a beast of a problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back