Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
Jacksonville
Hello,

I've been reading past posts on Phlegm and see that there are various methods and suggestions in dealing with it.

Unfortunately, I probably will not be able to use any of them with my PALS.

What I would like to know is whether increase in phlegm and mucous could be/ is likely related to more serious involvement with lungs.

My PALS insists it is a simple cold and the mucous is from a broken nose.

She reports that the Hospice Nurse checks vitals twice a week and that her breathing and blood pressure are all excellent.

However, she has been known to withhold information from us CALS to prevent interference and I know of no broken nose incident.

Her voice is very weak and gravelly - we think it is a matter of weeks before it is gone completely.

She has lost 30 pounds in a fairly short amount of time, down to 15.4 BMI (very underweight) but no desire for a feeding tube.

I am only asking because I would like to know what to expect. Could this really be just a lingering "cold" or is it more likely a symptom of disease progression? Because so many here are affected by it seems to me that it is related.

I would say it is caused by a weakening of the muscles and being unable to clear the mucus.

does she use the bipap? to her it probably feels like a cold but probably not--she just can't clear the lungs of the phlegm.

talk directly with the nurse--she should be honest with you on her observations.

Losing weight it very very bad. It makes the disease come on quicker

Thanks all.

Barbie, she does have a bi pap machine next to her bed but not sure she uses it at night. Never during the day that I know of.

I know she wanted a hospital bed recently so she could elevate herself for easier breathing.

The weight loss is very concerning indeed.

She has definitely started a decline after a fairly long plateau. Her appetite is iffy and I think the phlegm and mucous will only make her more uncomfortable and less likely to eat.

In the last two weeks her energy level has really dropped and she isn't bothering to get dressed. She just lounges in her robe all day.

nothing for me to do really - she has made it clear she wants no pressure and feels her supplements will keep her well. 😞

I just have to keep telling myself this is her disease and her journey, not mine. But I thank you all on these forum boards. At least I am learning what to expect.

It sounds like she has a plan, and she is independent and in charge.

just follow her lead but be ready with any help she may need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back