Diagnosis
5/2014
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tampa
School called today to let us know there are confirmed cases of whooping cough. An asthmatic child and a spouse with ALS....not good. The flu, bronchitis, and pneumonia have been widespread in Florida...now pertussis is showing up. :(

Pertussis outbreaks seem pretty common they happen up here with some regularity. Is your child in the same class as the child with pertussis at any point during day? Might be worth a call to the pediatrician and your and your husband's doctors too. Up here they treat people with preventive antibiotics if they are exposed. Have you and husband had TDaP shot?

Because of HIPAA rules they don't release any info other than there are cases at school. My husband will see a pulmo next week so I will tell them right away, and monitor my son. My son just had a booster for tdap but I don't know when Steve or I did....so its probably been many years. TB is relatively common here .

They have only been giving Tdap for about 10 years. Before that adults could not get any pertussis immunizations because the available vaccines had unacceptable risks for adults. TdaP is something all adults should get once in place of their 10 year TD ( tetanus diphtheria) booster. If your son recently got his then chances are good he is protected which is good news for all of you!
None of this has anything to do with TB as you know and there is no immunization currently in use for TB unfortunately

Didnt know about the adult tdap booster. I will ask about it. I mentioned tb because we see a fair amount of it in parts of FL.But pertussis not so much

Schools may not tell, but your kid will probably be able to figure out if it is someone in his class or not...call some of the other moms too. I could always get the lowdown that way.

Put it out on facebook...will find out soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back