Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
I have noticed when I use the cough assist to get mucus up for the first half hour my mucus is all sorts of different colors-brown, green, red, with what looks like particles in it. aAfter a while it goes mostly clear. Do I have an infection, or is this just food caught bin the mucus that is coming up? Sorry for the grossness.

Neil, I think you should see your Pulmonologist or pcp. I am just getting over pneumonia and my last appointment with our ALS Pulmonologist was about these colors. Clear is good, green, brown, red are increasingly worse.

There should not be food in lung mucus.
As Max said, call your doctor.

Certainly there should not be any colours in lung mucous but I'm wondering if this is actually gunk (technically speaking) from the pouches and folds of the epiglottis area.

Have you had barium swallow studies and is there typically collections there you have trouble clearing?

I would talk to my doctor or speech pathologist about it, it may well be one of the benefits of the cough assist.

These pesky bits being trapped in the throat are often what cause the pneumonias as they get aspirated during a coughing episode as they dislodge a bit later after eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back