Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Bellingham
I realize that this not a big deal in the grand scheme of things here but I've been having a problem with my weak hand retaining water which further impedes its usage even more. It does subside during the night which indicates that it helps to keep it above the heart. My question is how do I do this during the day short of reclining all day?

My dad is having trouble with his feet retaining so much water and swelling bad. He has some socks he wears that are supposed to help a little and is to keep his legs elevated. They also said having his feet massaged would help a little. I don't know what they can do for the hands though. I wonder if a water pill would help? You might ask your Dr. My dad also has hand braces that they have him wear through the VA.

I keep my elbows propped up. Have to sit in chairs with arms anyway, if I didnt I wouldn't be able to get up to transfer, ab muscles gone and legs wont lift me. Using the chair arms as props keeps my hands at chest level most of the day

If you have sufficient mobility, you might try periodic arm stretches above your head. Another good one is holding both arms extended out front at shoulder level and flexing your hands down at the wrists.

Joint lock stretches at the wrists along with each finger helps too. Your caregiver can assist.

Hi music elevation is the key

massage helps too.

After the pneumonia my PALS had incredible hand swelling compared to what we had thought was swelling before that. I was seriously worried we were going to have his wedding rings cut off.

I started massage on the left hand in particular and was so pleased with how much swelling I got rid of ... until I found this fluid lump sitting behind his elbow ... yup I literally had managed to move the swelling up the line!

Talk to a PT about massage for swelling, I discovered that you do have follow a strategy to remove swelling from an extremity without just dumping it somewhere else :shock:

When up during the day, sitting with your hands propped up, and possibly with braces on if the hands are curling in will definitely help. I know it's not ideal, but as you noticed the swelling is reduced in bed, then it's important.

Chris also had incredible heat retention in his hands once the swelling really started and we ended with fungal infections ...

Hi Affected & others -- thanks for the tips. I am still fortunately fairly mobile so I can try all these suggestions you have made.

When we last went to the VA for equipment update the OT noticed my husbands swollen hands, and brought him a pair or isotoner gloves that she put on inside out, and a stretch hose like tube that she put on his arms. It was quite amazing how well the gloves worked as they were not all that tight, not nearly as tight as his compression stockings and when I took them off that night for bed his hands almost looked normal. But the best thing of all was the increased mobility that he gained. It seems the swelling was making it very difficult for him to move his fingers anymore and now he can move them so much better.
Paulette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back