Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
SC
City
Sumter
To give a little brief history, my father is 80 and was diagnosed on 12-13-13 with ALS. I am sure he has been fighting this horrible disease for much longer it just took a while for all of the pieces of the puzzle to come together and come to this diagnosis. His arms are basically useless and his right leg is growing weaker. His lung function is estimated to be about 50% right now. He has started hospice care and they have been a big help. I wanted to write this for anyone debating if morphine to help with the breathing is right for them as we debated for quite a while and dad held it off. He finally decided to try it about a week ago and it has helped tremendously on the days he is really struggling to breath. Some days aren't so bad. His dose 100mg/5ml (20mg/ml) 0.25-0.5 ml every 2-4 hours as needed. Times when he is really winded and struggling to breath and almost in a panic it seems to get it under control with in a few minutes and help relax and breath easier. It may not be right for everyone, but it has been a big help to him. I hope this helps anyone debating it.

The morphine helps fight the"air hunger" that comes as breathing becomes labored.

Yeah, I have read that. It seems to be a big help to him so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back