Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
US
State
MA
City
Hull
I would appreciate any suggestions on what to do with my arms while sleeping. I can't move them. And after a while my shoulders and elbows get sore. I've got pillows under my elbows but it seems my elbows get drawn in towards my chest while sleeping. Anybody else experiencing this? Any solutions?

so sorry that you have the sleeping problems seaside.

I don't have solutions for you, but hope there are some good suggestions as my PALS has a lot of trouble now with the same thing, he also has some frozen shoulder problems, but can move his arms. They are very weak, and the hands so he can't reposition easily.

We are hoping an electric recliner chair is coming which will help we hope as he will get more support around his body.

thanks Tillie, speaking from experience I wouldn't Get an electric reclining chair. They don't recline far and the control is not ALS user-friendly.but as you know, everyone is different.

are you speaking of a recliner, lift chair? this type works great for me

@seaside

we haven't seen the chair yet, our OT is applying to get one on loan for us, and I've wondered what the controls will be like as his hands are getting very weak, so it's a really valid point!

The OT is also looking into an overlay for the bed to make it softer for him to try and help, his arms also creep in towards his chest.

I'm hoping someone has some good suggestions as I could use some here too I'm running out myself.

@pearshoot

yeah it's a recliner lift chair, if by that you mean one that will get him to standing up as well. How are your hands, do you find the controls easy to manage?

Oh Joy!

Just had a call from our OT and there is an electric recliner lift chair available, and a ROHO mattress to try out, and also they are sending a height adjustable padded 'day chair', I'm calling it a day chair, it's for out on the verandah as our regular plastic chairs are starting to get hard on his back with so little muscle and no fat padding at all.

Sorry, not meaning to hijack your thread.

What to do with those arms while sleeping is still going to be some problem for him, so I'm keeping posted here!

My PALS' arm pillows were kept in place by the fences on the hospital bed. You might consider putting a fence on your bed.

My wife has no use of her arms and is bedridden 24/7.

She is in a hospital bed ( electric air mattress) and lays on her back with cushions under both elbows. Her hands are resting on her lower stomach near hip bones.

She has never had pain as I check with her often and she corresponds by closing of eyes.

My wife had a similar problem. I know that pillows helped and changing positions helped. She wore one of those finger separators that eased her also.

I had a similar problem with my arms migrating in toward my body. I use bath towels to keep my arms away from my body. Fold it in thirds or fourths and then I fold that around my forearm and hang the ends off the bed. That is enough resistance to keep them in place. Picture hanging a towel on a rod, where your arm acts as the rod.

that towel idea sounds so clever, I love simple solutions

seaside if you try this can you let us know if it works for you? My PALS still has arm movement so would lose the towels, but I intend to try that one when the arm movement is no longer there.

We use multiple layers of travel pillows (polyfill, we get ours at BBN) combined with pads that are made for other areas, e.g. sheepskin, arm trough liners, etc. It varies as my husband progresses. His shoulders subluxated some time ago. It works best to keep his elbows at an angle and his hands along his hips. He gets too hot to do a wrap or pad on the elbow per se. His arm is supported from the upper arm through his hand. When he goes to bed, the bed is tilted upwards w/ a trough in the middle since his legs are elevated also. For people who need less elevation since the arms are not fighting gravity, fewer layers might work better.

Thanks to all. Brian's advice about the towels works well. The towels add enough friction to keep my arms from sliding around. A good use for old roughed up towels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back