Diagnosis
00/2000
Country
OH
State
ohio
City
columbus
how does this impact death? Her score is an 11 now. The carbon dioxide levels in the 50-60's.

FVC was 11, I can not believe it! Are you using a BiPAP?

yes she used it only at night for a long time. then she had her first crash I guess you could say and started using it while awake for periods during the day. Things got a little better and so she started to only use it when she slept at night or napped during the day. She has actually died or coded I should say 3 times from ALS unrelated issues. All were accidental. One a magnesium overdose because a fam member gave her epsom salt in her peg to help move her bowels. One because she lost weight quickly and was on some duplicate therapy drugs and overdosed on oxycodone and benzo's. And honestly I don't remember the other time. I have been taking care of her since oct last year in my home as the only caregiver outside of a nursing agency but now I have added hospice to the team. They think she may pass this month. Recently she has had times where her respirations have dropped as low as 6 but while fully awake 12-15. She has the bipap now that reminds her to breathe which I guess will work as long as her diaphram does, but how low can the FVC get?

Often, when FVC is low, it cannot be properly measured. I would guess that your sister's FVC is really much higher than 11, it just cannot be properly measured. Still, it does sound like it is very, very low. Coupled with her very high carbon dioxide level, it sounds like she is in an advanced state. Her hospice nurses can give you a clearer picture.

I agree with Missy. It's hard to get a true FVC as it's hard to get a proper lip seal around the adapter (can't think of the right word right now). But with her high CO2 levels, it does sound like she's getting closer. That also might explain her moodiness you've expressed in your other posts. Sometimes they can get delirious. Yasmin.

guess its irrelevant now - sh#t is getting real - I think we are hitting the preactive phase -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back